We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which diving school?

Which Phuket hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
which diving school?

I would like to start a dive career. Looking for a good diving school which offers all courses from beginner too pro. Any recommendations?

13 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 6
1. Re: which diving school?

have you had a look at the reviews of the diving schools ? If not click on the "things to do" in the green banner at top of the forum page and it will show you a heap of dive schools with some thorough reviews on each.

Apart from that I cant help you much as diving doesn't float my boat.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
reviews: 18
2. Re: which diving school?

Recommendation: don't do it that way.

Do your open water course, gain some expereince, preferably in different waters, so good/bad visibility, strong/weak currents, sea/fresh water, do your advanced and rescue courses and if you still like it, do your divemaster course. That will be your first taste of prefessional diving. If after the DM course you still think you'd like working in the dive industry, go for it.

But the 'zero to hero' programmes where people are taught from open water to instructor are quite often a rip off, and if no rip off, the value for another DC is zilch.

I would not hire somebody who has done a program like that.

Steven from phuket-scuba

3. Re: which diving school?

Appreciate much... well if in that case I need to get my open water course instead of all in 1.. ive checked plenty websites for those courses such as 3 in 1 package at koh tao and career package in phuket.. any good school recommend? Kindly advice..and ive read some of ur post..which stated you have your dive centre at phuket .. how can I get your contact?

4. Re: which diving school?

Appreciate much... well if in that case I need to get my open water course instead of all in 1.. ive checked plenty websites for those courses such as 3 in 1 package at koh tao and career package in phuket.. any good school recommend? Kindly advice..and ive read some of ur post..which stated you have your dive centre at phuket .. how can I get your contact?

Kata / Karon Phuket
reviews: 1
5. Re: which diving school?

Hi

We have had a lot of good experience with Oceanic Dive Centre in kata http://www.oceanicdivecenter.com/

The lady you can speak to there is Rachel, the customers we have had that have used them were impressed by the fact they picked them up from the hotel before the dive date and took them down to the shop and run them through everything very thoroughly and that it felt very personalized and friendly and reliable with time timings.

Regards

Phil Hubbard

GM/Owner Villareal Heights Kata Phuket

Phuket
reviews: 4
6. Re: which diving school?

I can recommend you try Oceanic dive center as a good place to start . They'll be able to point you in the right direction with regards to your diving career . The owners are called Rachel and Joel and they have plenty of experience in offering the courses you will need to complete you Dive Master course .

Giles - Offspray Leisure Speed Boat day Trips Phuket

Phuket, Thailand
reviews: 16
7. Re: which diving school?

Hello Ho A,

I would recommend Phuket Scuba Club www.phuket-scuba-club.com. (*Please note that this is a different company from phuket-scuba mentioned previously). The owners are Kevan and Chantal.

I dive with PSC often and have only great things to say about their expertise and customer service. I have seen a number of divers start their scuba career with them. If you are a candidate who wants to go from Open Water to Dive Master, they do take the time to work with you to see if this is a viable route.

They also provide transfers from hotel to dive shop and back in the Kata/Karon area.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1210687-d…

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 45
8. Re: which diving school?

It took me close to 60 dives before I got really comfortable with bouyancy control, swimming in currents, handling my gear..etc. At 100 dives, I am still not comfortable about assisting someone in troublr, dont talk about actually rescuing someone.

Learning scuba skills from a book and a few exercises is one thing. Acquiring sufficient experience to lead, rescue and teach is another. You can actually kill someone.

Stevens advice is good. Take open, then advanced, dive and dive, different sites, conditions..etc and after many many dives if you still want to make it a career then by all means. I like to dive.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 259
9. Re: which diving school?

Ho,

You may contact steven at: http://www.phuket-scuba.com/

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g293920…

:-)

Edited: 5:29 pm, July 02, 2014
10. Re: which diving school?

Thanks for all information given, I will arrive phuket at 4th and check out with these dive centres and perhaps do more survey with some dive centres at patong too. I have few more days to decide which school to start because im staying here about a week or more..

Reply to: which diving school?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted