We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covermore Motorcycle Insurance

Which Phuket hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
posts: 24
Covermore Motorcycle Insurance


I was looking at options for travel insurance and most (all?) of the providers stipulate that for motorcycle/moped coverage, you must be licenced in your home country to operate the vehicle. Covermore says you must "hold a license valid in the country you are riding". Does this mean I would be covered provided I had an IDP? The other conditions are that you're wearing a helmet and the vehicle is 200CC or less. I am aware of the dangers associated with the vehicles, but would be looking to drive it in Ko Lanta, not Phuket itself. I was turned off the area because of the difficulty of getting around so this would certainly be helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
posts: 4,492
reviews: 17
1. Re: Covermore Motorcycle Insurance

What they mean is: if you ride a motorbike in Thailand and you don't possess a motorbike license in Oz you're not covered. A endorsement for motorbikes on your car license is not sufficient.

Melbourne, Australia
posts: 1,776
reviews: 20
2. Re: Covermore Motorcycle Insurance

Agreed. Without a license at home you are not covered.

Brisbane, Australia
posts: 24
3. Re: Covermore Motorcycle Insurance

Are you sure? I'm aware that that is the case with other insurers, but the wording of this is different to those others, which say something along the lines of what you said, talking about home country and not the destination.

Oxford, United...
posts: 201
4. Re: Covermore Motorcycle Insurance

The IDP issued in the UK has separate classes, I can get motorcycle class because I have full UK m/c licence.

posts: 2,294
5. Re: Covermore Motorcycle Insurance

Put it this way, if you don't have a motorbike license then you are riding illegally. Would you expect an insurance company to cover you while doing so?

Covermore says you must "hold a license valid in the country you are riding". - Doesn't get much clearer than that.

Do you have a motorbike license in your home country?

Sydney, Australia
posts: 2,715
reviews: 13
6. Re: Covermore Motorcycle Insurance

Ask yourself....Do the locals(Thais)need a licence to ride their motorcycles in their country...??...

Tho' one thing I am 100% positive...A heck of a lot of tourists ride unlicenced/uninsured in Phuket....A fact...!!...Riding after they have been drinking...??...Never..!!??...yeah right....!!

Sydney, Australia
posts: 778
reviews: 252
7. Re: Covermore Motorcycle Insurance

Does this mean I would be covered provided I had an IDP?


The IDP is a virtual international translation of your home licence and is endorsed to show the class/classes of licence held in the home country.

If you do not hold a MC licence at home, your IDP would not be endorsed for a MC.

You therefore would not be covered for insurance ... and would be breaking the law by riding a MC in Thailand.

Melbourne, Australia
posts: 1,776
reviews: 20
8. Re: Covermore Motorcycle Insurance

An IDP is not a license, it's a permit that recognizes your license from your home country. I think you are clutching at straws to be honest.

The only way to be certain is to ring Covermore.

Melbourne, Australia
posts: 1,424
reviews: 24
9. Re: Covermore Motorcycle Insurance

"you must "hold a license valid in the country you are riding". If the country you are riding in is Thailand then you must hold a licence that is valid in Thailand. At least that's the way it sounds to me. If an Austrailian motorcycle licence is valid in Thailand then you are covered. If not you would need a Thai licence. Others like stevenl and cocotang will know better then me. Is an Australian motor cycle licence valid in Thailand?

Sydney, Australia
posts: 2,715
reviews: 13
10. Re: Covermore Motorcycle Insurance

magpie...I always rent a bike whilst in Phuket and always carried my riders licence and always wore a helmet...

I was stopped many times in Patong at road stops and asked for my licence....I always produced my Australian riders licence and was always let off and on my way....

One time,a Thai police laughed at my licence because he noticed the waratah pic and gestured to me that this was something you maybe smoke.....??...Funny guy,we laughed together then let me go....!!

However,that was then...Now,i would get my IDP instead of producing my Aussie licence....

Funny thing is....I doubt a Thai police would know the difference between an aussie riders or a drivers licence and for that matter not many Aussies would see the difference either.....An aussie riders licence is defined by a small "R"in the left hand bottom corner of the licence....