We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet ski scam?

Which Pattaya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sweden
reviews: 31
Jet ski scam?

Is it still a risk of being scammed if you rent a jet ski in Pattaya?

48 replies to this topic
Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 51
1. Re: Jet ski scam?

You can rent if you take precautions - stay away from Soi8. If unsure then rent a jetski at Koh Larn.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293919-i9439-k512…

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 7
2. Re: Jet ski scam?

There are still scams going on with the Jet Skis. If I was going to rent one, I would inspect it very carefully; ask the to pull it up on the beach so you can inspect the parts below the water line.

Pawtucket, RI
3. Re: Jet ski scam?

Use a digital camera to photograph any damage the jet ski already has. Maybe even take a photo of the rental guys too in case you have to locate them again.

Don't leave your passport with the rental guys!

Try not to end up in the newspaper and on TV.

www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp…

Sweden
reviews: 31
4. Re: Jet ski scam?

Thanks for the help. I think I'll skip Pattaya and go to Chiang Mai instead. No beach of course but friendlier and more honest people. Who wants to take pictures and so on and then they still make up a story and demand money from you. Not the way to spend a holiday!

Pawtucket, RI
5. Re: Jet ski scam?

"I think I'll skip Pattaya and go to Chiang Mai instead. No beach of course but friendlier and more honest people."

++++

Little old ladies visit Pattaya on their own. They probably don't worry about jet skis because they don't rent them!

You give up too easy!

Have fun in CM.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
6. Re: Jet ski scam?

I certainly wouldn't bother renting a jet-ski, and the more tourists who don't, the better. The risk is always there.

London, United...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Jet ski scam?

I think its all about being sensible. If it sounds too cheap and looks too tacky, then it probably is! I also agree; You give up too easy.

I'm planning to visit for the first time in Feb' 13. I won't be jet skiing as I don't like them but, I will be renting a phut-phut as usual when in Thailand.

I don't often pay the lowest price - I pay the best price for what I'm renting. They're not necessarily the same.

If anyone has any advice for this Pattaya newbie, happy to hear it.

Been to Phuket and Samui many times, want to try 'Soddam & Gormmarah" now! LOL!

Perth, Australia
reviews: 15
8. Re: Jet ski scam?

Jet ski scam still alive and well on Kata Beach in Phuket. They accuse you of damaging the jetski and demand money...not cheap prices to hire, same as everywhere else. The scratches are usually marked by the operators when you get back and are not looking. Happened to someone at our resort, but they managed to rub off the "scratch" , then half hour later operators accused young German tourist, tried to help but he didn't speak english. These people are corrupt and should be put out of business by everyone not using them. They are located in front of beachside restaurant on Kata beach. Police no help at all!!! Beware. We are still in Phuket and can't believe the corruption, will never return.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 9
9. Re: Jet ski scam?

Avoid all Jet Skis.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 37
10. Re: Jet ski scam?

You don't have to avoid the jetski's, just the guys hiring them out.

Reply to: Jet ski scam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pattaya