We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pattaya shopping more interesting than Bangkok ?

Which Pattaya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Evreux, France
reviews: 190
Pattaya shopping more interesting than Bangkok ?

Is Pattaya more interesting than Bangkok for shopping ?

I would be interested to buiy clothes, cd's, contact lenses ,et c.

What are the best shopping malls and markets in Pattaya ?

Thanks for your advices !

Sandra

Pawtucket, RI
1. Re: Pattaya shopping more interesting than Bangkok ?

Several modern malls in Pattaya and even more under construction right now!

Big C Mall on Pattaya 2nd Road (north end) is popular, also has a good movie theater showing latest flics at really cheap prices! Supermarket and lots of stores located there.

Royal Garden Mall, also on Pattaya 2nd Road is pretty big. Next to the Marriott Hotel, between Beach Road and Pattaya 2nd Road. Another movie theater here, cheaper than Big C but not as nice - loud volume most of the time. Many small shops, restaurants and other vendors available.

Carrefour Mall, 2 Lotus Tesco stores, 1 at Jomtien, and Mike Mall on Pattaya 2nd Road. Second Big C located near Sukhumvit Road, Jomtien end.

If you are sitting at an outside "beer bar" around 1600 on up to 2000 you will be plagued by lots of vendors selling movie CDs, watches, cheap electronic gizmos and other assorted pest type salesmen.

No idea on contact lens, I do see some eyeglasse stores advertising them (lots of stores selling eyeglasses!)

Also, there are lots of street vendors and flea markets in Naklua and Soi Buakhaw (other areas too!) All sorts of stuff sold at these flea markets. Check with your hotel staff to see what days they are open. Beach Road, Pattaya 2nd Road and side streets have lots of street vendors with all sorts of stuff for sale.

I think some things are cheaper than Bangkok and some are not. Friends of mine buy quite a few movie CDs all the time. Watches from vendors at Carrefour often sell for 100 baht (battery will run down pretty soon though!)

I don't think there is any one "best" place to shop, since transportation is so cheap (10 baht for foreignors on baht bus) you can visit several of them. In malls there are lots of independent vendors selling stuff in the lobby and the stores have quite a few things reduced or on sale. Good deals on T-shirts and tourist junk if you bargain the price!

Up to you.

Bristol, United...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Pattaya shopping more interesting than Bangkok ?

al has covered a lot there. I'd say Bangkok is better, just less convenient given its size and the fact that English or German is far more widely spoken in Pattaya if language happens to be a problem. Bangkok is certainly cheaper (out of the tourist areas) than anywhere in pattaya for the things you ask abouit.

Chonburi
3. Re: Pattaya shopping more interesting than Bangkok ?

Pattaya's main advantage for that sort of stuff would be it's convenience. I don't think you'll find a huge difference in prices.

Plenty of opticians to choose from.....just don't take the first one you see. Very easy to go round a few first. - Very cheap!

What kind of clothes?

There’s "made in Thailand for muslin stuff, cheapo copies and luggage.

There are loads of "arcades" selling this sort of stuff.

Also one or two night markets might be worth a visit. One is by the Sukumvit TESCO - check the times though.

2 days a week - (I think Tues??? is one) - there is Soi Buakhao Market - good CD stall and DVDs lots of cheap clothes.

Outlet Mall on Sukumvit and Fly for western stuff and various shopping malls: TESCO's, Carrefour and Big C all have other shops under one roof.

Royal Garden plaza and Mikes (both Beach Rd thru to 2nd Rd)offer western brand clothing....sports goods, crafts, souvenirs, shoes baby clothes musical instruments etc etc. There was a Jim Thompson shop (Thai Silk) in royal Garden.

For furniture and Thai Arts and Crafts - try Threpasit Road - Thai Decor - or off Pattaya North there is Luk Dod Shop with tons of bric-a-brac for eastern Europeans to take home.

Leather shop on Pattaya South will make up shoes or off the shelf, as will Bob the Boot in a Small arcade off the junction with 2nd road and South Pattaya. there are one or two interesting Copy shops there too....one does clothing to order and the other does Computer programs.

Beach road has all the usual souvenir shops and tailors etc. If you have anything made by tailor, make sure you leave enough time to take it back and have alterations done before you go home. Don't go just on price...some stuff just falls apart.

Happy shoppping!

reviews: 25
4. Re: Pattaya shopping more interesting than Bangkok ?

Bangkok is certainly better for shopping, more choice and cheaper price, especially in MBK center and Pratunam area.

colorado
reviews: 1
5. Re: Pattaya shopping more interesting than Bangkok ?

Bangkok is definitely better.

Plenty to offer..weekend market, pratunam market, china town, siam and mbk.

contact lenses are cheap in the area of amulet market.

Santa Cruz, Cal
reviews: 9
6. Re: Pattaya shopping more interesting than Bangkok ?

Bangkok has more but its sucha hassle to get anywhere in Bangkok that I don't ever want to stay there again, Pattaya everything is much closer and easier to get to but no Robinsons dept store but probably everything else

Western Australia
reviews: 6
7. Re: Pattaya shopping more interesting than Bangkok ?

I bought contact lenses in Pattaya. but I did take the old case from Australia so I could make sure I got the right dimensions etc.. didnt try buying them in Bangkok tho , so I cant compare.

8. Re: Pattaya shopping more interesting than Bangkok ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Pattaya