We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car or motorbike rental chaweng

Which Ko Samui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bray, Ireland
reviews: 37
Car or motorbike rental chaweng

Trying to decide which one to rent for a day on my upcoming trip to explore the island. Any recommendations? Any places I should avoid? How much would either cost?

18 replies to this topic
Canberra
reviews: 11
1. Re: Car or motorbike rental chaweng

Do a search in this Forum, there are plenty of fairly recent threads with this information.

Bray, Ireland
2. Re: Car or motorbike rental chaweng

Thanks, yes done that. Might just go for the motorbike, car seems expensive after insurance and as I don't have an international license, not even sure if I'd be covered with insurance.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 13
3. Re: Car or motorbike rental chaweng

Best to rent motorbike through your hotel. The price might be 50 Bt more but there are so many unscrupulous private rental agencies and they all insist on holding your passport for collateral!!

Best to rent at your hotel front desk. Reserve before your arrival.

And remember Samui has very high accident rate in all of Thailand.

Island is full of farang with bandages from accidents.

Do not drink and ride.

Cheers

Bray, Ireland
4. Re: Car or motorbike rental chaweng

Yeah thanks, I've actually been visiting the islands in the gulf of Thailand for 13 years. But the only one I've really explored explored a lot is ko phangan and that was on the back of friends' motorbikes!! I tend to just lay on the beach in chaweng when I visit Samui or it was lamai in the early days but I want to check out the rest of the island. I'm well aware of the dangers in the roads with bikes, and the potential problems of renting them from the wrong people. So after doing a bit more research, I'm now thinking a car might be a better option even if it'll cost a little more. I drive a car at home so might be the safest bet and I've found out it's not hard to get the international license. Thanks for the advise though.

Madrid, Spain
reviews: 1
5. Re: Car or motorbike rental chaweng

Hi Peter, yes I would definately recommend you rent a car to be on the safe side. You can rent a car with your normal drivers license. You only need an international license if you own and drive your car here. We rented a car through www.livelovesamui.com, check with them for prices. Good luck

Bray, Ireland
6. Re: Car or motorbike rental chaweng

Thanks Lisa, that helps if I don't need an international license, I researched how to get one but if I don't have to then I won't. I think I would definitely feel more comfortable driving a car instead of a motorbike, I tried renting bikes 10/11 years ago but didn't feel comfortable so never tried again. But I do drive a car at home so I'd feel a lot safer. Yes I will certainly have a look at that website, thanks again.

Mildura, Australia
reviews: 53
7. Re: Car or motorbike rental chaweng

Peter, please do get an IDP! They are very easy and cheap to get and could save you a world iof trouble. Most places will not ask you for it when you hire however if you read the fine print of your agreement it is likely to say that if you have an accident the insurance will not cover you if you do not have one.

The police also may ask for it in the event of an accident.

The other thing to consider is whether your travel insurance will cover medical bills from an accident if you don't have an IDP. Many of them do have this requirement.

Some say dont worry about it but for peace iof mind and such a small cost I would definitely recommend it.

I'm glad you have decided to go for a car over motorbike too - there are so many accidents over there from people who are inexperienced riders.

Hiring through an international chain or through your hotel is the way to go. We have used Samui Wave a couple of times through our hotel and we were very happy with the cars and service.

Have a great holiday.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 39
8. Re: Car or motorbike rental chaweng

Peter, I totally agree with Allie. what Lisa has advised regarding an IDP is not correct.

If a person owns and drives their own vehicle in Thailand, they should be on a Thai license, IDP's are valid only for 1 year at a time and are intended for people to be able to drive in a country they are visiting. Many countries do not recognise an IDP as a valid license for a resident.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 44
9. Re: Car or motorbike rental chaweng

I'm speechless with Lisa comment ...

Countless time the news and articles regarding the tourists had car or bike accident hospitalized with no money to pay for hospital bills. The travel insurance refused to pay for them simple because they don't have an appropriate license. Why oh why people willing to take the risks when it only take no more than half an hour one passport photo and you have IDP for one year. How many time we need to see the family and friends back home have to set up fund asking for help from public donations to pay for hospitals bill.

Peter I'm with Matt and Allie.

Bray, Ireland
10. Re: Car or motorbike rental chaweng

Ok thanks folks, I'll certainly take that advice on board and get an IDP then, I'd already looked into it and seen that it's not hard to get. Yes sweetpea, one of my own friends had an accident in Bangkok last year, not motor related, he didn't have any insurance and back here we all had to organise several fund raisers as his family had to pay hospital bills and even fly him back to Ireland in a coma. The bill ran into hundreds of thousands. Sadly he died after he got back. I used to never even take out insurance but after learning the realities of what could happen, I certainly will in future, and no point taking it out unless I'm covered for everything so yes I'll get the IDP.

I was looking at the companies based in the airport but will shop around, I presume the ones in the airport would be reliable though?

Thanks again for the advice.

Reply to: Car or motorbike rental chaweng
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted