We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie - I spologise if these questions have been asked

Which Ko Samui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
reviews: 28
Newbie - I spologise if these questions have been asked

Hi, I looking at at holiday in Koh Samui, about 14 nights in February, just wanted to know really if the diving is good, not for me but the hubbie, is it cheap or expense to eat out ? is there markets/shops about to purchase snacks/drinks/alcohol and is Koh Samui a good resort for a first timer, I'm 48 so I'm past the stage for night clubs etc just like a lovely relaxing holidays with some light night life, is Koh Samui quieter than places like Phuket - I appreciate any good or bad you may have x

Port Elizabeth...
reviews: 47
11. Re: Newbie - I spologise if these questions have been asked

We split a holiday between Ko Samui and Ko Tao and we both preferred our time on Ko Tao more. Firstly it's quieter, not in your face that KS can be, had lovely beaches for swimming and diving and great restaurants that were much cheaper than KS.

We hired a ATV and explored a bit plus hired a Longtail boat and went all around the island, stopping to snorkel in spots you couldn't get to on land.

There were lots of small shops so developed enough to not feel like you in the sticks.

We stayed within walking distance to Sairee Beach, where we ate most nights.

I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 174
12. Re: Newbie - I spologise if these questions have been asked

We are similar age to you spending 3 weeks in Samui and Phangan mid Feb onwards. We love the southern end of Chaweng.

Splitting your time is really easy, and you can book the ferries yourself.

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 174
13. Re: Newbie - I spologise if these questions have been asked

PS

Just to answer your specific questions . .. .

is it cheap or expense to eat out ?

A] yes it is. You can eat from a few baht from small stalls to Gucci costs upwards! Wine is expensive.

is there markets/shops about to purchase snacks/drinks/alcohol

A] there are lots of shops, and regualar markets around the island

is Koh Samui a good resort for a first timer

A] To Thailand? Yes it is. Koh Samui is not a resort but an island. Places like Chaweng, Bophut, MaeNam, Choeng Mon, Lamai are the beaches [resorts] to name just a few - all of which are different and have different feels and personality. Longer beaches like Chaweng has a northern bit - which is busier and a southern bit which is quieter.

I am older than you, and Mr Mitch and I love Samui, even the odd night out with our ladyboy daughters!

14. Re: Newbie - I spologise if these questions have been asked

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 21, 2014