We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

Which Ko Samui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Geelong, Australia
reviews: 16
Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

Hi all,

There has been alot of media of late in Australia about methanol being added to cocktails in Indonesia. What l am wondering is does anyone know if this practice is also happening in Thailand. We do drink cocktails at the night markets on Koh Samui but we have just about decided to stop just in case. Any thoughts?

Regards Rachel

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 44
1. Re: Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

Hi

Never heard of methanol mixed with alcohol in Thailand. Drinks spike yes but not methanol. However I've seen the mojito made with Thai Whisky ( the legal one) the like of Maekong, SangSom but they are up front with that ( they have the sign clearly stated). If you don't just ask to be made with normal ingredients like I did.

Only thing to worry about those cocktails carts is they made cocktails far too strong for my liking.

Geelong, Australia
reviews: 16
2. Re: Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

Thanks sweetpea,

Valuable info as usual, I know l am probably over cautious but better to be safe than sorry.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 39
3. Re: Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

Hi,

I think the problem is isolated to Bali, the Thai people and government are a lot more proactive in their policing and desire to grow their tourism market.

I've had many cocktails on the street from a multitude of vendors and never had an issue.

I think the only thing misleading would be the actual contents of a branded liquor bottle probably isn't that actual brand but a cheaper one.

When you're only paying $2 a drink I don't suspect we should be expecting even mid range brands.

With all things in a foreign land use caution where you feel you should.

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 174
4. Re: Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

Similarly, many cocktails and not real issues (other than 2 many!)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
5. Re: Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

Don't miss the street cocktails in Fishermans village on Friday night at the street market.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
reviews: 56
6. Re: Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

hi

Australia media as usual

nothing wrong with the street cocktails

more media rubbish

cheers

DC

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
reviews: 56
7. Re: Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

hi again

just been to maenam walking street tonight

lots of cocktails on the street

didnt seem to put off too many people from what we saw

and the 50 baht mojito tasted all right to me

the spare ribs on the bbq i think were laced with what looked like black tar

or maybe just [soy sauce]

and the cinnamon rolls may have had some sort of dangerous spice inside

[probably cinnamon ]

it certainly pays to be wary of street stuff

but if in doubt dont partake

cheers

DC

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 39
8. Re: Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

Dean,

It's not rubbish when people are being blinded and killed in Indonesia.

The Australian media has made no mention regarding issues with drinks in Thailand.

What is being reported is the methanol poisoning of a young Perth man in Bali who died as well as other people from Australia and Canada who have come forward of late regarding their cases of poisoning.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 44
9. Re: Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

I agree with Matt hare. With so many cases of blind and dead. Its good to be aware of things we put in our mouth or using while we are on holiday. As said there's no issues from australian medias regarding drinks from Thailand whatsoever. The OP just ask simple question of her concerns which I would ask the same questions too if I'm not familiars with the country I'm visiting of intended to visit.

Newcastle N S W
reviews: 9
10. Re: Cocktails on the street. Safe to drink?

actually Dean it is not rubbish.It is a serious problem in Bali,a girl where I work drank a cocktail in Bali nearly died now has mild brain damage so how that is rubbish is beyond me and there is also the case that Matt mentions

The OP asked a fair question....for the record i`ve drank plenty of cocktails on Samui in many a happy hour with no problems side from having the same problem as TM