We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

Which Ko Samui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wales
reviews: 3
Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

Just about to book Centara Grand Samui and Kenwood Travel are considerably cheaper for a two week package for last week August and 1st week Sept.

Flight is with Thai Airways from Heathrow and via Bangkok.

Just a bit concerned as have alway booked via well know holiday companies like Thomson etc

Has anybody out there used them specifically for a trip to Koh Samui or else were long haul

Any advice or experiances welcomed both good and bad before I push the button.

Would they have holiday reps whilst out there?

Many thanks in advance :-)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 17
1. Re: Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

I would not book a package with a travel agent. You could probably get flights and accommodation much cheaper online.

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng
reviews: 157
2. Re: Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

Hi

In the UK many of the companies like Kenwood can work out cheaper, as they get deals on accomodation and flights.

We don't normally use a travel agent to book flights / accomodation as a deal and get our flights from netflights.com, book internal flights with Bangkok airways [or Air Asia with a ferry crossing] ourselves and then arrange the hotel directly. We have been booking DIY for years! We even book our week in the sun with Thomson direct and not via a travel agent.

Flights out of the UK are a bit more expensive in July / August, and it is also a high season in Samui. However I do know that Thai had a special on recently so that would explain the price.

Why not do a comparible DIY.

http://www.netflights.com/flights.aspx

http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/index.asp

http://www.bangkokair.com/en/index.php

http://www.airasia.com/gb/en/home.page (to Surat Thani)

http://www.lomprayah.com/

Unlike Thomson (which is part of the HUGE TUI travel group). Kenwood have ABTA and IATA membership which means you are protected should it all go horribly wrong. Also booking as a package does mean you have piece of mind should you have any issues when away - unlike me with our DIY who takes out a cheap airline insurance to cover that bit.

Its really a choice. Our holiday will probably be a bit cheaper or about the same as a similar trip offered by the larger long haul operators, like Kuoni, but we got the hotels we wanted, for the number of days we wanted, flying when we wanted with the airline/s we wanted, at the times that we wanted, and doing what we wanted - and not what they wanted to sell us. But the word similar sums it up, they don't offer what we wanted and we would have had to compromise! We find with DIY we get what we want and not what they want to sell us! Only you can decide what is better for you, as I bet if you asked 20 people, 20 would have different reasons for doing their holidays the way they do. Some like the flexibility of DIY, some like the fact that packages mean they don't have to worry . . . .

The Centara is a lovely hotel - don't book club facilities until you get there as it will be cheaper.

You are unlikely to have a holiday rep, but you will have the hotel to turn too for trips etc. Its not like a Thomson 2 weeks in Tunisia. However, Samui is very easy to explore and we normally book a hire car (yes again do it ourselves) and its all very easy.

If you want any help or advice, just ask, lots of people on here happy to help.

Edited: 6:17 am, April 22, 2012
wales
3. Re: Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

Thanks for the v comprehensive response.

I will take your advice and price a DIY with the links provided.

My only concern would be how to book the flights to Bangkok and then on to Koh Samui and what if one was delayed and we missed the connecting flight!

Or is there a way of booking a package of flights which includes the connecting flight? That way if on is delayed they would have to sort another flight out for you?

Kenwood Travel have just rung back and can grant the price offered but two days later on the 26th Aug. They seem v helpful and return private transfer are £25 each.

There is an offer to upgrade to a superior Delux room as appose to a Delux room for £67 but are not sure of the difference. Does anyone know the difference please?

Thanks again, great help!

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
4. Re: Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

Hi

There are several flights a day, and as a long as you allow 3 hours then it will be ok. Bangkok Airways are not a budget carrier, and this has worked out well for us. Another option is to enjoy a night or 2 in Bangkok!! Bangkok Airways and Thai do code share so you should be ok.

Can I say £25 per person for a private return transfer each. £50! What a rip off! The hotel charges £14 per car return transfer! thats £14 total there and back total! £50 is a ripped off! Its only a 15min journey tops. Agents make money on transfers as they know people worry about that . . . . £50 what a swizz. . . . the hotel will arrange it once they have your booking for a fraction

I would also NOT upgrade until I get there. Is that £67 a night or per person per night . . .The Superior deluxe room is the same as the Superior but with club access and is the same as Deluxe club and I could never see the difference. The Deluxe pool rooms are [IMO] dark! As I said earlier it is cheaper to upgrade when you arrive or, when you have the booking contacting the hotel directly. centarahotelsresorts.com/csbr/accommodation.… If you book with the hotel it will only cost £120 for the TOTAL 2 weeks . . . so it depends on what the £67 is (per night, pernight per person, per holiday per person, etc) to if its good value or not.

Does your price include breakfast . . . . as the hotel normally charges around £10 a night, but the club facilities (Superior deluxe room) include breakfast, lunch and evening drinks / canapes, as well as free wifi.

When you do a test booking work on 50thb to the £ and you won't go far wrong. I just did one, and whilst the 15% early booking choice [that we normally go for] is not there, the prices are around £138 a night including brekki, and £130 without (that is per room per night and NOT per person per night)

Thai are offering really cheap prices at the moment at £600 per person to Bangkok, and its a £85 each way per person from BKK to Samui with Bangkok Airways (thats only as the best deals have gone).

....... £50 for transfers . . . . crikey still can't get over that, the hotel charges £14.

wales
5. Re: Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

The £67 upgrade to Premium Delux is for the both if us for the whole holiday and includes breakfast. Total cost for two is £2712.

Looks like i will book any upgrade and the tranfers direct with hotel do thanks for the top tips and web links.

Apparently this offer includes drinks on the plane. I can only assume this is just soft drinks?

Could i request a room location direct with the hotel?

Not sure whether to go for two nights in Bangkok at the Rembrant hotel for same money. Any thoughts on this one? Not sure of its location.

Cheers again, much appreciated

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
6. Re: Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

OMG! I am sorry, but what ever do they teach these travel agents nowadays .. . . drinks included!!! Sorry for my laughing! Of course the offer includes food and drink on the plane, why would it not . . . .? I really do dispire and this is one of the reasons I don't use many . . . Thai is not a budget or package deal carrier, and national carriers like Thai have never charged for food or drink - and that includes wine, spirits and beer, but also water which is what is needed for long haul flights, and includes snacks! www.thaiairways.co.uk/flying-with-thai/ is a useful read.

You could request a room preference, but there is no gurantee. Don't know if you have been to the hotel before, but to be honest they are all pretty much a muchness in location. You can request a floor - the higher the floor the better the view. All rooms [except the pool rooms which are on the ground floor] have views towards the sea.

Free drink on the plane whatever next . . . . the hotel has decided to include palm trees and a beach next to the hotel? Travel agents make money by selling you stuff per person when the hotel charges per room. Sorry hun . . .

If you want a no travel agent BS spin then just ask!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
7. Re: Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

Now that made me laugh :)

So the travel agent tempts you saying

" this offer includes drinks on the plane"

I would check the airfares and hotel rates and see what it works out doing it yourself, not saying their deal is not great, but highly expensive transfers and then the offer of drinks, strange.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 12
8. Re: Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

I used Kenwood travel to go to Khao Lak in December and had no problems at all with them. I agree that sometimes you can get a better package than doing it yourself, just depends how you prefer to do it.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 12
9. Re: Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

I should have said that we didn't have a holiday rep but that didn't bother us at all.

wales
10. Re: Kenwood Travel ~ Any Experiances Out There?

Glad may last post gave you all a chuckle :-)

Just checked diect with Centara Grand hotel and the cost for a Deluxe room from 26th Aug for 14 nights for just one person is 85,000 Baht plus 15045 Baht in taxes which is over 2k ~ that cant be right surely?

Ive just e mailed them to confirn costs and availability. Watch this space!

Is there a risk that if on the third floor the top of the palm trees will restrict the view and therefore a safer bet to go for 2nd floor?

Cheers again Peeps :-)