We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Samui vs Phuket? in mid July

Which Ko Samui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, NZ
reviews: 1
Koh Samui vs Phuket? in mid July

Hi,

Me (19yo), my mother (40yo) and my brother (16yo) are planning our first trip to Thailand in mid July. I was wondering whether Koh Samui or Phuket would be the best place to go this time of year?

We are planning to do a bit of everything while we're there. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Bristol, United...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Koh Samui vs Phuket? in mid July

Tough one this. On the weather front July is always good in Samui and drier than Phuket.offset that against there being more activity- wise in Phuket, and it is a little more expensive. Still enough activities in Samui though.depends what you are planning to do.

OC
2. Re: Koh Samui vs Phuket? in mid July

We just returned from both islands a couple of weeks ago. Phuket is more populous and spread out than Samui, but everything in town is walking distance. Be sure and visit Rock Hard (a really fun live music place playing heavy rock) and Bangla St. (total freak show) Hotels are easier to find in Patpong/Phuket. (try Patong Merlin or Patong Bay resorts. Both very nice for about $80usd). We actually did 5 nights each in Patpong and Samui. In Samui, the action is in Chewang Beach, although there are smaller, quieter towns around the island. Lot's to do both places, fantastic food. The ferry boat/bus route we took from Patpong-Krabi-Surat Thani to Samui took about 7 hours and costs about $20usd. I would advise finding a travel agent in Bangkok or Phuket to arrange hotels and transfers for you. They get rates 25%+ cheaper than we get on the internet. When you get to Samui, the taxi ride to Chewang should cost no more than 400 baht. Both places are clean and safe to walk around at any hour of the day/night. We had no problems and absolutely nothing bad to say abou the entire trip. have fun!

Auckland, NZ
3. Re: Koh Samui vs Phuket? in mid July

Thank you to Bankokgas and Sufindaddyo for your feedback. Yes I think we might do what you did sufrindaddyo, we were planning to go for about ten nights so might just split the trip in half :) I've heard such great things about both places so really want to go to both!

Thanks again guys, you've been a great help :)

Surfers Paradise...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Koh Samui vs Phuket? in mid July

If you have 10 days,then 5 days at each would be the way to go.You can easily do Samui in 4 days,it's a pretty small island.If you do decide to do both,you can get a 3 leg coupon through Bangkokair to fly Bangkok-Phuket-Samui-Bangkok,it works out cheaper than paying individually.

The best daytrip from Samui is the Anthong Marine Park tour which takes you in a speedboat for snorkelling,sea kayaking and a buffet lunch,it's a reaaly good day and you can book at any travel agent on Samui.