We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atms

Which Ko Samui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex, England
reviews: 27
Atms

We are planning to use ATMs, rather than take travellers cheques. Our bank does not charge a fee but we wondered if there are certain banks in Thailand that offer a better rate than others?

Brisbane, Australia
1. Re: Atms

Hi,

I took money out of the ATM and found I was losing too much money in rotten conversion rates, VISA were converting the money at rediculous rates outside the daily high-low levels, in fact, when I worked it out there was no such level (price that currency had been trading at) for the past year!!!!

http://www.ozforex.com.au

ie. AUDtoUSD converted at .71c when price for conversion should have been .73/4 cents, the amount visa were skimming on converting money I withdrew from an ATM was as much as 5%. With Thai baht (i dont have it in front of me at the moment) not being a dominant currency Im sure the "conversion spread" would be wider still based on my experiences. From memory it was getting up to 10%-15% difference the amount money changers were converting at and VISA were converting at.

Thats why I stopped using my card to ATM money as I was losing a lot of dollars.

Some shops charge the bank fee or card fee .. Ive heard a fee of as much as 6% on the price to use the card. Some charged approximately 3% on some transactions made.

As a general note on using credit cards when travelling - Each time my friend returns from America, she usually encounters differing amounts at which the card transaction was entered on her statement and the receipts for the transaction received. I now know why she religiously keeps receipts when travelling!

Well respected hotels and companies, retail outlets etc. all had significant variations in the recipted amount at the time of transaction and the final transaction on the bank statement.

In some cases prices were "receipted" in the shop in the US at USD$15 but on return to Australia when checking the bank statements the prices were charged out at over USD$25.

The differences worked out to hundreds of dollars (in fact approaching USD$1,000 in skimming) over the trip which were duely refunded by her bank when receipts were produced.

Bangkok
2. Re: Atms

Most banks in thailand charge the same rates for ATM withdrawels. I always use the bigger banks like Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank or Siam Commercial Bank.

Steve

Preston, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Atms

We used our Nationwide atm cards throughout Thailand in May/June 2005 and had no extra chars from any banks. Exchange rates were all similar too!

Brisbane, Australia
4. Re: Atms

Yes.. Id say conversion rates would vary from Bank to Bank ..

I just had a look at my statement and money from the VISA ATM was taken at 34 baht to the dollar ($AUD TO BAHT) where as money changers were exchanging at (average) 28ish... This included VISA Purchases on my card paying for hotel accommodation which was done at the rotten rate mentioned. (thats 20 odd percent difference in conversion rates!)

this means for as little as AUD$68 I was skimmed the equivalent of 400 BAHT that I would have received by converting cash through a money changer and not going through MY (banking institutions) Visa card.

In another case I was skimmed for an ATM withdrawel about 1,000 BAHT for AUD$170 (withdrawel) compared with exchanging cash to cash by getting money out at 34 and not 28 (avg) baht.

Hope this makes sense...??

Essex, England
reviews: 27
5. Re: Atms

Thanks everyone. Your help is much appreciated.

Interesting to see the comment on the Nationwide card. We have used our Nationwide card in other parts of the world and always find it offers the best rates.

Surrey (United...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Atms

Hi,

We used the same system. Although we got charged everytime we did it (we bank with First Direct, Maestro, which is not an accepted format generally)we got a better exchange rate from the ATMS, sometimes nearly 71 baht to the pound as opposed to the currency we purchased at home at 64 baht to the £.