We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Bad Are The Mosie's

Which Ko Samui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 6
How Bad Are The Mosie's

I am severly allergic to Mosquito bites!!!!!and get a ver bad reaction.............If I lather myself in insect repellant I am usually ok..............

Have read a few comments that the mosie's here are quite vicious....any tips on how to avoid them......or is that impossible..........Are they day time or nightime mosquito's in Koh Samui!!!!

London
reviews: 1
1. Re: How Bad Are The Mosie's

Depends what time of year you are going. Can be worse with humidity. Its not as bad as people may have said... lets face it your not in the tropical rain forest. Go on an elephant trek in the rain... your gonna get bitten.... If you go on any trips, even on a boat, where you hop off and back on... then I personally recomend the 50% deet, in the day or night, you can buy it from Boots (THE GREY BOTTLES). I would definitely suggest wearing it at night when you go out, especially if you suffer. Avoid purfume.

P.S: The cans of spray are seriously poignant (please excuse my spelling) - so hold your breath and perhaps do it in the bathroom. Your meant to spray outside, but how can you do that without the protection? I would probably get bitten before I start spraying:) We found the pumps a little easier for breathing, but they are a little messier, so keep them in a plastic bag and tape the cap on etc when travelling. This strength of Deet can also make your nail vanish go sticky, so watch out. Don't spray on areas where you will be putting clothes on top. You can buy a spray specifically for clothes and material (Kuoni recomend a website to buy from... I also bought bands to wear on your ankles and wrists, but you do need to spray the deet aswell as wearing them - In my opinion, for Ko Samui the deet should work without the bands)

Enjoy - take some piriton just in case, should help clear up overnight. Also keep in your hand bag this little yellow clicker thing, also from Boots. You click it 5-10 times after being bitten, it sends a little electronic pulse. I then spray wasp eaze after, or use the after bite stick.

All this info - sorry - what a blurb - its only because I also suffer, so I understand.... seriously though - Ko Samui isn't that bad for mozzies, I only know so much from other trips where we stayed in a tropical rainforest. Have a lovely holiday.

London
reviews: 6
2. Re: How Bad Are The Mosie's

Dear Mrsf2b

Thanks for that...........I am a BIG time sufferer and have been put on steroids for my allergic reactions.........I use the Boots stuff and yes you are right it rots nail varnish........Is it necessary to wear it during the day. We are going in July/August. I ahve never tried the bands though.......do they work.........Is it worth a punt on them instead of the hideous vile spray!!!!!

London
reviews: 1
3. Re: How Bad Are The Mosie's

Hey Eternity

Unfortunately - you can't use the bands without the spray. They are an extra protection, but not a primary one.

But I highly recomend them for the evening when its worse. Having said that- Ko Samui isn't that bad - I personally think the spray in the evenings will do the trick - but if you are worried, what difference, get the bands for added safety.

I didn't suffer too badly in the day time. Only on trips - it maybe that the hotel we stayed at treat the grounds with mist... If your worried, just spray day and night.

I feel for you... xxx