We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon question

Which Ko Samui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Black Country, West...
reviews: 7
Honeymoon question

Hi guys, my fiance and I are hoping to go to Koh Samui next year (abit premature I know, but need to start saving!) I have found a quote of £1399 per person, for 3 nights in Bangkok and 10 in Koh Samui, Anantara resort, just after some advice really:

1, Anantara: is it worth the money? we are having a basic room.

2, What are the shops like on Koh Samui? hoping to hire a car so getting around them wont be a problem.

3, Read somewhere that its quite hard to spend money beacuse its so cheap, is this true?

4, Nightlife, are there many bars and clubs around? Not really clubbing people but would like to go at some nights.

Any replies greatfully received.

Thanks

Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 5
1. Re: Honeymoon question

1. Anantara is a beautiful hotel in Fisherman Village which will suit you fine if you are not after every night entertainment, as Fisherman Village location is quieter than Chaweng. More couples/families place.And your deal is sounds pretty good for Anantara, usually it's more expensive.

2. Shops are 2 types :

A-cheap bargain type shops which are absolutely everywhere in Chaweng and sell pretty much the same stuff - Billabong and Diesel (kind of) T-shirts, copies of different jeans, cheap beach clothes and souveniers.

B- more exclusive (and more expensive) shops which sell different, sort of unique stuff, which you won't find anywhere else.

The best are:

In Chaweng - "Try Out" white colour shop opposite Buri Rasa hotel - funky and stylish clothes for men and women, "Chandra" - clothes from Bali -2 locations - better one next to Tropical Murphy Irish pub. "Vintage" shop opposite Mc Donalds, and "Century 22" at the corner near the turn to supermarket TOPS.

In Fisherman's Village - "Siddartha" (similar clothes with Chandra - from Bali) , "The House" - funky clothes and jewellery from young Thai, Balinese and Indian designers for both men and women, and small boutique "Starfish and Coffee" with more eclectic sort of things.

3. To spend money is not hard anymore, as Samui is no longer cheap. It's the most expensive place in the whole Thailand. You can eat in an expensive restaurant for 100 quid per couple easily, you can stay in expensive hotel, you can use VERY expensive taxi, you can take a few excursions, do some exclusive shopping, go a few times to Starbucks and you won't notice how your money will be all well and truly gone.

4.Nightlife (I mean nightclubs) is in Chaweng area.

Soi Green Mango or Reggae Pub are the cheapest options, you can normally dance there till 2 am.

Bar Solo behind first Starbucks in Chaweng is another option.

"Escape" and "Black Moon" parties on the lake are much better options with good D-Js, much better music,great location on the beach and better croud, but unfortunately they only happen 2-3 times a month.You need to look for signs and listen to the loud cars which are going around the island advertising these parties.

Q-bar and Bar Ice are the most expensive and sophisticated options (mind you Ice Bar charges 750 Baht for entrance). Plus there are numerous bars, pubs around Chaweng generally.

Bophut (Fisherman's Village, where Anantara is) has the best dining options, as it's home to about 20-30 great restaurants, pubs and bars, where you can try all kind of food from all different countries, dining by the sea. Fisherman's Village is a local ex-pats community with lots of regular customers eating there every day, so everybody there is trying to maintain high standards. But there is no nightlife in Bophut, it goes to sleep around midnight. Girls bars and loud music are not allowed in Bophut, but pub Billabong has a great live music nearly every night with a couple of resident singers playing guitar there. Nice atmosphere.

talitamir
reviews: 2
2. Re: Honeymoon question

Hi

I've read almost all the reviews on Anatara as I'm considering on going there myself this summer on my honey moon. It seems like an overall great pick, if you're willing to pay Western prices for food and Spa treatment. It's also walking distance to the Fisherman village which is great to have a change in scenery.

Black Country, West...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Honeymoon question

Thanks to both, will more than likely be looking to book this soon.

4. Re: Honeymoon question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, September 26, 2009