We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

Which Ko Samui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, California
reviews: 1
Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

We are visiting Bangkok in late- August.

We want to spend four nights in Bangkok then spend 2 days on beach and 2 days in more rugged/village area. Any suggestions on which areas or tour agencies we should check out?

How far is Bangkok to Ko Samui?

How far is Bangok to Hua Hin?

How do most people get from Bangok to those other locations? Should we just arrange those side trips in Bangkok or should we do it online before we go?

Thanks for your help!

liverpool, uk
reviews: 2
1. Re: Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

hi there, depending on who you are traviling with and if you know the areas in and around bangkok i would stay for 3nights max! It was good but its quite smelly, very hot, but also very hectic/busy and can be quite scary (in some areas) to a girl in her mid 20's like me even when i was with my boyfriend. When you arrive at the airport in bangkok do not go to the men shouting 'taxi' 'taxi' because they will charge a fortune and sometimes even try to make u stay in some random hotel. Walk straight past them and flag one down out side. Do not pay more that 200-300 thb to get into the centre of bangkok because they will try and take advantage of your cash, just walk away if your not happy. Taxis are very cheap over there so where ever you stay you can get around ok.

we stayed in samui for 10 nights and it still wasnt long enough!! it was fantastic! the flight from bangkok took just over an hour and i would book the flight before you leave as it is less hastle than doing it in thailand. The only airline that gos to koh samui is bangkok airways.

koh samui has lovely white sandy beaches not like the uk!!! and the people, food, island and bars/restraunts are great,

Just do some research on the net and price some flights, hotels and you wont go wrong with bangkok and koh samui,

Have a great time! hope this will help!

Canberra
2. Re: Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

Allow yourself about 3 hours to get from Bangkok to Hua Hin by car. Best way is to hire a metered taxi or negotiate a price at time of hire. Expect to pay around 1600-2000 baht one way. Your hotel will arrange for you if you wish but it will cost a bit more than a taxi you hire yourself. For a private vehicle travel agents can arrange for you although the cost is likely to be up to 3500 baht or more. For accommodation I suggest you look for something in the town rather than staying on the outskirts and having to rely on the shuttle bus, taxis or tu tuks although all are not expensive. There are good travel agents in Hua Hin who can set up various day trips for you all are at competitive prices and generally no need to book in advance.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
3. Re: Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

From Bangkok to Koh Samui only airline is Bangkok Airways

To Hua Hin Limo service from limo counter at the airport about B 2,850, normal taxi about B 1,800, Limos are faster and naturally more comfortable, takes 2 and a half to 3 hours

I would not stay in town itself but also I would not go as far out as Cha Am or Pranburi, my favorite area is at the south end of the Hua hin beach area around Kaho Takiab beach and Khao Takiab Bay, these are 5 to 7 minutes by tuk tuk or the local Songthaew bus which costs a mere 7 baht and they go every 10-15 minutes along to these beach areas. Accommodation ranges from places like the Hyatt around $100 a night to small boutique places like Kaban Tamor, Sabai Jai or Baan Talay which are around the $50-80 region, or the smaller boutique places or a nice boutique bed and breakfast like the Ocean Breeze or guesthouse around Khao Takiab Bay, about 10 minues from the centre of town for around the $30 region.

Hua hin is a lot quieter than Samui and the beaches are not as good but being a cab ride from Bangkok saves you a lot of money, Hua hin is the most Thai of the beach resort areas and if you make the effort to get out and about you find rural areas, caves, deserted beaches, national parks and farmlands.

Oakland, California
4. Re: Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

Thank you so much for the tips- we decided we want to do some trekking in Chiang Mai so we will spend 2 nights in Bangkok, 3 nights in Chiang Mai and 3 nights in Ko Samui.

Do you think its worth it to take the bus to Chiang Mai so we can see more of the land and people? Or should we opt for flying?

Also, what's the advised way to get from Chiang Mai to Samui- should we fly from Chiang Mai back to Bangkok and then fly to Ko Samui? Is there something direct from Chiang Mai to Samui?

Again- any advice is greatly appreciated! We are so excited and have only heard good things about Thailand.

London
reviews: 15
5. Re: Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

Poofy,

You can either fly to Chang Mai or take the train which is quiet entertaining. I have done both and flying is alot quicker and isn;t that expensive. To get to Koh Samui you will need to fly via Bangkok.

I know you are now going to Hua Hin, not I stayed there last year at the Hyatt REgency which was very nice and the town itself is good, with a cool night market. Going to Chang Mai is great so you will have a great time.

Cheers

Oakland, California
6. Re: Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

All the advice is greatly appreciated-

We decided to do Bangkok 4 days with day trips to other surrounding areas, Chang Mai 3 days and no Samui.

Is there a beach closer to Bangkok? We were going outside our budget by flying to Samui but would still like to hit the beach.

Any advice on a beach close to Bangkok but still nice? I have read about Hua Hin but hear it's dirty? Any opinions on Hua Hin? Is Hua Hin close enough to Bangkok to do a day trip or two?

Thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
7. Re: Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

Whoever said Hua Hin is dirty? The central area must be one of the cleanest, for good reason too, the Royal Family are frequent visitors and a Royal Palace there, and the town is very very clean indeed, some of the finest restaurants too, it is an upscale places frequented by many Bangkok residents, the Chiva Som Hua Hin Spa is frequented by top movie stars and the rich and famous, so no, Hua hin is not dirty I can assure you! Try one of those small boutique resorts like Baan Talay or perhaps if you can a Raffles style place the Sofitel Central.

London
reviews: 15
8. Re: Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

I would just like to back up Monica's recommendation re. the Sofitel. I stayed at the Hyatt Regency, which is a 50 min walk from the town, whereas the Sofitel is right in the centre, but has enough space to think you are away from the town.

Personally I thought the night market in Hua Hin was great, fantastic food at low prices. However as I have discovered Hua Hin last year I am going to Ko Samui this year and probably going to stay at Poppies on Chaweng Beach (24 room luxury hotel ... well thats' what they say!).

New Zealand
reviews: 29
9. Re: Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

Hua Hin has got the most amazing beaches...very clean and the water is so warm...we stayed at the Marriott which is within walking distance of the night markets but the tuk tuks are just outside the hotel and will take you anywhere. We arrived in Bangkok at 5am and had a private transfer waiting for us at the airport and were settled in our hotel at 7.30am. There is a cheaper option for Koh Samui flying Thai airways to Surat Thani and taking the ferry across but it takes all day which is OK if you're not limited with your time.

Stavanger, Norway
reviews: 118
10. Re: Ko Samui and Hua Hin Advice

Hi

My wife and I have been to vancation to Thailand a couple of times and it is a great destination. You can reach Samui by plane from Bangkok and it should take about an hour...I think you can check Bangkok Airways. Hua Hin is closer...you can take the bus there from Bangkok and it will take about 3 1/2 hours. I have posted trip report and pictures from our trips to Thailand on my personal homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard