We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas hotel help please

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 66
Christmas hotel help please

Which hotel has the best christmas atmosphere will be staying for 3 nights from 24th dec with my 14 year old daughter looking for a hotel that offers a good Christmas Eve meal with some sort of entertainment budget maximum £300 a night for a room for 3 people any help would be great thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
1. Re: Christmas hotel help please

Lots of hotels put out the Christmas decor, with decorated trees, piles of "presents", blinking lights, Xmas muzak, etc. But they don't always have an understanding of the holiday, my favorite to date is still one I saw many many years ago at a hotel in Bangkok. A lovely manger scene with a painted backdrop of the desert & holy star and props galore .... inside the manger .... baby Jesus watched over by Snow White and the 7 dwarfs.

I would suggest picking your hotel for a nice stay, then worry about picking a dinner venue later after restaurants start announcing their special menus. It is so easy to get around Chiang Mai that there is no reason to limit yourself to eating at your hotel. (Thais don't celebrate Christmas, so Christmas Eve is just another Wednesday night to tuk tuks, song teaw, shops, etc)

Edited: 10:47 am, June 30, 2014
Noosa, Australia
reviews: 8
2. Re: Christmas hotel help please

I can't stop laughing! Priceless!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
reviews: 30
3. Re: Christmas hotel help please

Your budget is very high for Chiang Mai (even for Christmas) so you have lots of choice. Be aware that some of the large chain type hotels will have a compulsory Christmas Eve meal that is added on per person to your room rate. Le Meredien is in the night bazaar area (at the door step) and I believe has a Christmas meal like this. Friends of mine were there for New Years Eve last year and had to pay/attend the compulsory New Years Eve meal. Having said that, they really enjoyed it.

You might want to price some of the smaller boutique style hotels that may not offer a buffet that is compulsory but will have some good food options for you. Try Ping Nakara - a beautiful colonial/thai style boutique hotel not far from the night bazaar. 137 Pillars is also stunning and may come in around your price - it is over on the riverside.

You may find you don't need to spend as much as you think to get somewhere really nice though. Compare places like Tamarind Village or The Rim up in the old city.

Caroline.

Brisbane
reviews: 10
4. Re: Christmas hotel help please

Oh, Mr Cycling, I am having trouble typing this in between the giggles! Wish I had seen that...

Manchester, United...
reviews: 66
5. Re: Christmas hotel help please

This will be our 4th christmas in Thailand and we like the compulsory christmas meals it suits us we have always really enjoyed them I like the look of Dhara Dhevi but of course it's one of the few out of our price range also looked at the Shangri la and The Anantara both look ok but that's about it,are going to look at the smaller hotels that you mentioned thank you.

Reply to: Christmas hotel help please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chiang Mai