We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yi Peng amd Loi Krathong Festival 2014

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yi Peng amd Loi Krathong Festival 2014

Ive been wanting to see this festival for the past 3 years. I heard that this year is on 7th November. Can anyone advice me on which hotel to stay? And some activities too. Thank you in advance for ur help!

4 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
reviews: 30
1. Re: Yi Peng amd Loi Krathong Festival 2014

Hi Catherine. If you can see the FAQ on the top right of your screen there is heaps of info there to help. There is an FAQ on the festival and another on things to do. The tips for first timers should also help you.

As far as where to stay, there are hundreds of guest houses and hotels in Chiang Mai. If you could give an approximate budget and the kind of place you are looking for that would help others recommend. For example are you looking at a cheap guest house, backpackers, 5 star hotel, small hotel mid price, B&B etc.

Caroline.

2. Re: Yi Peng amd Loi Krathong Festival 2014

Thank you for your prompt reply Caroline. My budget is from sgd40 to sgd70. I would prefer to stay nearby the event where lantern festival takes place. I did my research and found out that it will be held at Mae Jo area. Can u recommend which area is the best place to stay during the festival?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
3. Re: Yi Peng amd Loi Krathong Festival 2014

The Mae Jo event is a religious ceremony held the Dharma sect that is separate event from the Yee Ping Festival. Unfortunately many blogs mislabel it as "the Yee Ping" and some tour companies perpetuate the wrong name because that is what they think tourists want it to be.

There is very little accommodation available in Mae Jo, mostly small little guesthouses. You are better off staying in Chiang Mai city, as there are many many things going on as part of both the Yee Ping and Loi Krathong Festivals in the city. If you want to take in the religious ceremony in Mae Jo, you can organize transport to and from through a local driver or tour company (pre-arranged transport is a must if you are going to the religious ceremony). There is also a made for tourists copy of the religious ceremony that has transport included in the $100 price.

The two religious events (the official ceremony and the tourist version) are held on the weekend before and after full moon (respectively). Yee Ping Festival is celebrated during the full moon, as is the Loi Krathong Festival.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
4. Re: Yi Peng amd Loi Krathong Festival 2014

Stay inside the old city and you are close to everything. The moat surrounding the old city is major center for most Thai's. The east gate (Tha Pae Gate) is a center point for stage shows and many of the foreigners. The river is about a 5 - 10 min walk and is a great place to see the fireworks.

I always recommend airbnb.com for finding real places to stay. I try to stay away from the hotels/hostels.

But the real answer is, that is won't matter where you stay. The whole of Chiang Mai will be celebrating.

Reply to: Yi Peng amd Loi Krathong Festival 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chiang Mai