We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nimmanhemin or Old City?

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
reviews: 4
Nimmanhemin or Old City?

This will be my and my teenage kids first trip to Chiang Mai. We are going because the kids want to do adventuresome activities rather than looking at museums in other parts of the world. I was looking for a place in Old City, when I came across a modern hotel, Nimman Mai Design Hotel in Nimmanhemin which looked cool. But will it be too much of a schlep going to Old City all of the time? Will probably be doing various adventuresome activities in the day, so it will affect us more at night. Is there night life near Nimmanhemin? and if so, what is the age limit for nightlife (kids are 17 and 19)? So, Nimmanhemin or Old City?

16 replies to this topic
Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
reviews: 41
1. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

Definitely old town - especially as it's your first visit, and you'll find some very cool characterful accommodation there. Can't help with age limits but I'm sure someone else will.

Trisha

Edited: 4:10 am, March 19, 2014
lewes uk
reviews: 105
2. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

Hi,

Nimm is lively area full if hip bars, cafés and galleries. Very popular with students and the younger crowd, but it can be a pain to get to the old city and riverside at times as traffic on the Huay Kwai rd can be heavy.

So for a first visit I'd stay in the old city which has some great places to stay and is also quite lively in parts, you are also within easy reach of the riverside etc.

cheers

Los Angeles...
3. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

Everyone who chooses to stay in a different area anywhere or else you choose to go, always comes back to Chiang Mai to stay in Old City. Old city has everything within walking distance, eclectic, charming, very cultural with lots of Temples and places to stay. Can walk to shopping, eating, funky hang-outs, Temples & has lots of places to choose from.It's peaceful but exciting. It would end up being an inconvenience traveling to and from not just Old City but to the night market near Warorot Market .

It is an easy city to fall in love with.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
reviews: 74
4. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

I'm with the above - most definitely the old city. I don't know what you mean by age limit for nightlife, but if you mean the age at which alcohol can be served, it's 20 years old.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 44
5. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

Hi

Agree with the others old city is best to stay for first timer and the returner. Nimmanheamin as Paul says. IMHO Nimmanheamin is mini Bangkok. For me It didn't feel like I'm in Chaingmai. I like the old Nimmanheamin when we were student :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
reviews: 30
6. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

I agree - the old city for sure. You can then go to Nimmanhemin for a meal or drink - and you also have easy access to the Night Bazaar area as well. The old city is in the middle of the two.

If you want a new modern boutique style place have a look at 99 The Gallery. Great location at the end of Sunday Walking Street and good value.

Caroline.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
reviews: 3
7. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

At my company we typically put Thai visitors in the Nimmanhaemin area; they like that vibe that is somewhat similar to up-market areas in Bangkok with trendy pubs and restaurants.

Because Thai people don't really need to see 'the real Thailand', they've kind of experienced it. ;)

But foreign visitors enjoy the old city or riverside areas MUCH better. So much more to see that's different from back home.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
reviews: 22
8. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

There's heaps of lovely guest houses all over the old city. Before I moved here, I always stayed at a nice place called Elegant Lanna. Yes, look it up on the web. It's almost opposite the Thae Pae gates, a walk across the foot bridge over the moat has you in a local market and the old city.

Anyone know what language is being used when s/he says "Schlep". Maybe s/he's sneaking in a Thai word!

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
reviews: 41
9. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

My understanding of "schlep" is an arduous haul as in "schlep all the way to the other side of town!".

Is it Yiddish in origin?

Trisha

Edited: 6:55 pm, March 19, 2014
Chiang Mai, Thailand
reviews: 22
10. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

Thanks. Here it's Thai or English.

Reply to: Nimmanhemin or Old City?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted