We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or bus To Chiang Mai....

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Train or bus To Chiang Mai....

Hi all,

Looking at going from bangkok to Chiang mai around the 10 november would just like to know your thoughts on best option of travel. Original plan was to get the night train but having seen lots of posts on here regarding derailments is this worth a risk? Has anyone done this journey on the bus lately and how was the experience.

Thank you all in advance

Mike....

Brynmawr, United...
reviews: 20
1. Re: Train or bus To Chiang Mai....

Why not look at flying. We are doing this journey next November and air Asia flights are looking reasonable IMO.

Kerrie

Vancouver
reviews: 21
2. Re: Train or bus To Chiang Mai....

As has been said on other posts about this issue, repair work is scheduled to begin soon but is not a sure thing. I would definitely suggest you take a bus or a flight to Chiang Mai. It's only an hour flight compared to a very long bus ride. If it was me, I'd fly. Last February I flew from Bangkok to Chiang Mai with Bangkok Air and it cost me about $70, but that was in high season (Feb).

Why not check out Nok Air and BKK Airlines, and Air Asia if they fly that route, and see what the fares are.

Oregon
reviews: 42
3. Re: Train or bus To Chiang Mai....

Fly.

London
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 121
4. Re: Train or bus To Chiang Mai....

If not derailments you are likely to end up with long delays due to engineering works on the tracks which are due to start soon, anyones guess how long they might end up taking. bus is a very long tortuous journey accross landscape that is very boring (mostly flat farmland).

I would at this time definately suggest a flight is the best option.

TX
reviews: 9
5. Re: Train or bus To Chiang Mai....

We are going in November and had no problem booking flight son THYSmile air.

Liverpool, United...
6. Re: Train or bus To Chiang Mai....

Thank you for all of your advice defo gonna look into flying ther thanks again

Regards

Mike...

Oregon
reviews: 42
7. Re: Train or bus To Chiang Mai....

Do it Mike. Safer and faster to fly. There are many different flights out of BKK from Thai Airways and Bangkok Air to the bargain carriers, Nok Air and Air Asia. Be sure to check them all out for the best rate and schedule.

Cheers.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
reviews: 16
8. Re: Train or bus To Chiang Mai....

Agree with other posters - flying is best if you can afford it.

Personally I wouldn't take the train. Repair work is scheduled for September 16 - October 31, but that doesn't definitely mean the repair work will be finished by the time you travel and will involve switching over to a bus at Uttaradit to continue on to Chiang Mai. Trains are usually very delayed anyway, and with the bus involvement the delays will no doubt be even worse.

I would definitely fly.

9. Re: Train or bus To Chiang Mai....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 11, 2014