We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Daly City...
Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

Wife and I will be visiting Chiang Mai in November 2013. We hope to participate in the Yi Peng at Sansai for religious gathering and the mass kom loi release.

What is the best way to get from Old CIty to Sansai? Songthaew? Tuk Tuk? Hired car with driver? Rent a car and drive ourselves?

My guess with songthaews and tuk tuk, there may be plenty to go there, but might not be able to find one for the way back, due to the crowds heading back.

Probably a hired/rented car is more convenient to secure a ride (and avoid fumes during the traffic back), but at a hire cost.Or maybe even split costs on a hired car and driver with any others that plan to be there this year?

FYI... We will be staying near the Night Bazaar.

- Raw

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
1. Re: Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

One big problem with driving yourself is finding parking. There is very little available, cars are parked on both sides of the very narrow roads leading to the site for many kilometers in all directions. Then you have the traffic jam on the return, the Thais drive quite differently than you are used to in California and on the opposite side of the road.

Hire transport with a driver, don't ruin the memories of the event with the frustration of driving through the traffic afterwards.

Daly City...
2. Re: Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

@MrCycling I was hoping you would chime in. I have read alot of your posts and deem them the most useful. So let me start with many thanks.

I was leaning towards hiring a car with driver. Most definitely did not want to deal with traffic (and worse than what I am used to in SF bay area). Would you know the current price to hire someone to drive us for the whole day and including night? How soon should I find a driver? Do you recommend a regular driver, or a fluent English speaking guide? I have started contacting guides on the FAQ.

We were also thinking of checking out Mae Rim for the day and visit Tiger Kingdom as well as some waterfalls. Then at 3pm head early to Mae Jo (I am guessing it is closer to get to from Mae Rim than Old City). Get good parking and hopefully nice spot to view the religious ceremony.

Now I hope someone is willing to share the ride with us to help lower the cost, and possibly give the driver a better deal/tip. I bet there are several people on TA that already plan to be there and do the same thing we plan.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
3. Re: Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

Glad you appreciate the info :-)

I would start looking at booking something right away. The better guides and drivers are probably already getting numerous inquiries, as that time of year is busy. Cost will vary depending on whether you get a sedan/taxi for just the yourselves or a full sized van hoping for others to share costs, maybe 1000 / 2000 baht respectively as lower end and up from there.

Having a guide to explain the ceremony to you would bring greater understanding, but if your sole goal is photography, a driver will work.

If you plan a full day outing plus the ceremony, take into consideration how long the driver will have to work. You need to figure that they maybe driving an extra hour at each end to get from their home / depot to your hotel and vice versa.

Simi Valley...
4. Re: Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

Hi Raw,

My friend and I will be in Chiang Mai for the festival as well & due to a misunderstanding, we are left to our own devises (the travel agency was suppose to set up the events, instead they gave us a free night). I have just started looking into where we need to go & what we'll be doing so I don't know what our plans will be yet but I wanted to say hi incase we wanted to talk to you about sharing a driver (we will be staying a few blocks away from the Night Bazaar).

I am beginning to think my dates are off for this festival, could you please tell me what day it is on?

Thanks,

Jen

(As a side note - I'm not sure what my profile says but I am located in Southern California)

Vancouver, Canada
5. Re: Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

Hi Zoobaby2003,

I'm a Canadian from Vancouver, B.C.! We share the same time zone but you get the nicer sun =(...I will be traveling to Chang Mai in Nov and was wondering if you're looking to share a car ride to Sansai for Yi Peng? I'm trying to narrow down travel dates to attend the festival because I'm getting mixed info on here. Let me know your thoughts. I was also aiming to get over to Loy Krathong in Sukhothai. If both of you are traveling in the same direction perhaps this could work splendidly!

Good Luck!

Jess

Vancouver, Canada
6. Re: Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

Hi Zoobaby2003,

I'm a Canadian from Vancouver, B.C.! We share the same time zone but you get the nicer sun =(...I will be traveling to Chang Mai in Nov and was wondering if you're looking to share a car ride to Sansai for Yi Peng? I'm trying to narrow down travel dates to attend the festival because I'm getting mixed info on here. Let me know your thoughts. I was also aiming to get over to Loy Krathong in Sukhothai. If both of you are traveling in the same direction perhaps this could work splendidly!

Good Luck!

Jess

London, Canada
7. Re: Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

Another Canadian from Ontario also looking for transportation. I'd be willing to split the costs of the driver for the day.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 13
8. Re: Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

when exactly is the yi peng (free one) as im getting confused. is it the 16th or the 17th?

and how early do you think we should be there if we want to get a good spot?

what time does it start and finishes? should we bring our own dinner or are there lots of food available in the surrounding area?

Daly City...
9. Re: Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

Bradz21,

From what I have gathered on the forums and the dates of the past few years, they hold the religious event / mass lantern release in Sansai on the Saturday before Loy Kratong. This year the full moon is on the Sunday 17th, so Loy Krathong main events will be on that day. So most likely the FREE event will be on the Saturday the 16th.

My group is heading straight there in the afternoon at around 3pm. From some travel blogs, I read there are food stalls. But not sure how early they will be there.

As for a schedule of events, I would guess it will be similar to the PAID one... http://www.yeepenglanna.com/event.html. But that is my guess also.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 13
10. Re: Transportation from Chiang Mai to Sansai for Yi Peng 2013

Thanks for the info. Which travel company or something did you book your transpo as I might be keen on booking them too and find someone to share the cost with me?

Also, how much is it and for how many people?