We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a Guide

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new delhi
reviews: 1
Do I need a Guide

Hi

We plan to do the usual places around CM do I really need a guide or should I just hire a taxi for the day. If so just how much does a full day taxi cost going to Doi Suthep and doing things along the way

Thanks

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
reviews: 30
1. Re: Do I need a Guide

You don't need a guide or driver for things in and around town. It is easy enough to get a tuk tuk or songthaew (see the FAQ top right - tips for first timers - on getting around).

Doi Suthep is only about 20 mins out of the centre of town. You can get there by hiring a songthaew or a taxi. Tuk tuks can't go up the mountain. There are public songthaews that you share with others that go up to Doi Suthep as well. These are cheaper, but you need to get to the points where they leave from and wait until they are full.

For trips further out of town you really need either a driver or a guide. If you intend going to the arts and craft villages it is handy to have a registered guide... otherwise you might get a driver intent on getting commisson for taking you places you don't want to go. In the FAQ there is a list of guides you could email a couple for a quote. The price will differ depending on how far you want to go, if admissions, meals are included etc.

Caroline.

2. Re: Do I need a Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 04, 2014