We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 2
Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

Hi All. When does Loy Krathong happen this year in the Chiang Mai area? What day is the beginning of festivities (a week long festival?)? Where is the best place to see Loy Krathong (floating of the Krathong on the rivers)? The best place to see the launching of the Khom Loy lanterns into the air? Thanks!!

21 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 6
1. Re: Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

The Thailand authority has no firm date for Loy krathong yet. Yi Peng is 17 November.

lewes uk
reviews: 105
2. Re: Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

Hi,

Loy Krathong will run from the 15th to the 18th with Loy Krathong itself falling on the 17th. Lanterns are released all over the city and build up from midweek with the largest number being released over the weekend. The riverside is a good place to see lanterns being released at close hand but many temples are also a good spot especially the ones around the Tha Phae Rd. To see Krathong being released head to the Ping river by the Nawarat bridge, also the old Lanna house just downstream of the iron bridge is a good spot too. Saturday and Sunday will be the best days

Cheers

Dallas, Texas
3. Re: Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

Thanks to everyone for the information. It's interesting to try to pin down these 2 holidays! Worth the effort, though, based on the photos out there. I'll be there with cameras in hand.

Does anyone know any more about possible temples at which the balloon release could be most spectacular? There is some information that in Mae Jon (a bit north of Chiang Mai?) is the place to be. Any other information on that?

Again, thanks to all for the help!

lewes uk
4. Re: Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

Hi,

Yes, there are two mass khom loy releases in Mae Jo, one is the event that is the religious ceremony that the monks hold, they don't usually announce the exact date until a few months before, but it's often one week before Loy Krathong. There is another commercial mass release in Mae Jo, same site, that is much closer to the Loy Krathong date, often the day after, at this event you need to buy tickets to attend and it's less crowded.

Cheers

Dallas, Texas
5. Re: Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

Thanks so much! Of course now I have even more information about the various holidays moving around, but I hope you're right, as that will work into our trip really well.

Have to been to Mae Jo yourself? If so, would Mae Jo or Chiang Mai be best to see the khom loy release?

lewes uk
6. Re: Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

Hi,

Yes, I've been to Mae Jo a few times for the release there. Too busy for me these days, I stay in Chiang Mai and enjoy it there, much more pleasant.

Cheers

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
7. Re: Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

Both Yee Ping and Loi Krathong fall on the same full moon, which as Paul mentioned is on the 17th this year. The Mae Jo religious launch is usually the weekend before the full moon and the commercial one the following weekend. But as the full moon falls on a weekend, it is hard to guess the dates for Mae Jo this year.

But, while the Mae Jo launch is uniquely spectacular, the traffic jams and crowds detract from that. I think you will find the thousands of khom lois being launched in Chiang Mai city itself to be equally memorable. And if you can get hotel room facing towards the river on a higher floor (higher than all the surrounding buildings that is), the myriad of sparkling lights floating skyward is a magnificent experience.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 38
8. Re: Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

If you book dinner at one of the riverside restaurants you'll get a great view of lots of lanterns and will be able to launch your own.

Bring earplugs too, because no-one seems to go to bed during the festivities, and the fire crackers go off all night - but it's a great spectacle and lots of fun.

New York City, New...
9. Re: Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

I'm trying to study these date very hard:) found some info for everyone's reference.

2011: Full moon: Nov 10, religious event: Oct 30(Sat), commercial one: Nov 9th(Wed)

2012: Full moon: Nov 28, religious event: Nov 24(Sat), commercial one: Nov 30(Fri)

So I guess:

2013: Full moon: Nov 17, religious event: Nov 9 or Nov 16 both are Saturdays, commercial one: ???

Edited: 9:27 pm, July 13, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 11
10. Re: Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013

the lantern festival for locals is appparently november 17 and the one for tourists is november 23.

Reply to: Loy Krathong and Khom Loy in Chiang Mai area 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted