We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trek in Chiang Mai

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 5
Family Trek in Chiang Mai

We are a family of 4 with 2 children aged 13 and 16 and would like to do a 3 day trek in Chiang Mai in April (we will be in Chiang Mai for a total of 5 days). We have tried the Trek Collective but only received a generic response and the Pooh Eco have not responded to the email. We would like to go on a trek with just the 4 of us, not a big group and we want to support a company that does not treat elephants badly and deals with the villages in a respectful supportive way.

Are there other operators who treat the villages and environment well that we can organise the trip with in advance?

Thanks

Manchester, United...
1. Re: Family Trek in Chiang Mai

Hi, I had the same problem with Pooh Eco-Trekking but I just kept emailing and think I got a response after the third or fourth email. Bit frustrating at first but other than the fact that they did not respond immediately, they were excellent.

Hope this helps.

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Family Trek in Chiang Mai

Thanks.

Some others report sleeping on hard wood and bamboo floors during the Pooh Eco Trekking - how did you find the accommodation during the trek? How many people in your trek party? We were hoping to go in a small group, maybe just our family.

Thanks again.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 136
3. Re: Family Trek in Chiang Mai

Have a look at Active Thailand, we recently did a cycle/trek tour with them, emails were fast and helpful, the places we went were amazing, our guide was fun and knowledgeable. We did it as a private tour, cost a little more but well worth if. I don't think we saw any other tourists the whole 3 days, lovely villagers and farmers, everyone gave us a wave or a high 5 as we rode past. They also do multi day trekking only tours. PM me if you want any more info.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
reviews: 30
4. Re: Family Trek in Chiang Mai

Email Sergeant Kai or Jack Tamrong and ask for a quote.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c125475/Thail…

Their contact emails are in the link above.

They are both highly regarded private guides in Chiang Mai and will be able to look after you.

Caroline.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 20
5. Re: Family Trek in Chiang Mai

Another trekking outfit you could try is www.nextstepthailand.com

i havent done there trekiing but staying in there ecolodge & talked with people who have & enjoyed it.

Manchester, United...
6. Re: Family Trek in Chiang Mai

Hi, we had foam mattresses on the wooden floor in the tribal huts where we slept - definitely didn't sleep on hardwood floors. However, we did only do a 2 day, 1 night trek so I can't speak for what the accommodation is like on the 3 day, 2 night treks, sorry.

We only had 4 people, my girlfriend and I and a French couple (think they only take a maximum of 8 people). I'm pretty sure you can arrange a private tour with just your family if you ask and don't think this would cost any extra.

Active Thailand, recommended by Leonek, also seemed a good company - they were on the short list with Pooh Eco-trekking when I was researching but they didn't do any 2 day, 1 night treks that fit the bill for us, although I do fancy using them for a trek next time I go to Thailand.

I also emailed Sergeant Kai when we were researching, I can't remember the exact response but he definitely couldn't offer a trek like we were after.

7. Re: Family Trek in Chiang Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 19, 2014