We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doi Mae Solong

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Doi Mae Solong

We would like to travel from chiang rai to mae solong, is there public bus go to this place. It seems like this place have nice scenery, planation, hilltribe and market etc. Can anyone give us some other nice in chiang rai?

Tks !

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
1. Re: Doi Mae Solong

anybody can help, please!!!!'

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 13
2. Re: Doi Mae Solong

Yes, there is a public bus, for sure, but am not certain which bus station it goes from.

Doi Tung in Chiang Rai area has a lovely park, museum and gardens where The Princess Mother lived in a Swiss design chalet.

Chiangmai
reviews: 4
3. Re: Doi Mae Solong

Buses do not travel to Doi Mae Salong as the road is too steep. You can take a bus from Chiang Rai to Mae Chan. Here you will find Songteaws (green colored two bench covered pick up truck) that departs every 20 minutes to Doi Mae Salong. Depart Chiang Rai early and enjoy a Chinese lunch at Doi Mae Salong Resort.

In the same area is Ban Hua Mae Kham, Mae Fah Luang and Hin Taek . This area has many Akha, Lisu, Lahu, Hmong, Mien, Shan, Chinese and Lawa villages. I would rent a songteaw or other vehicle with driver or a motorbike for the day and visit these places also.

In November they have the Annual Tribal Festival in these villages.

Have fun,

Randy and Ning

Singapore, Singapore
4. Re: Doi Mae Solong

Hello Randy and Ning

I will be staying in Chiang Mai for few days before move on to Chiang Rai. I will take a bus to Chiang Rai town area, is the Chiang Rai town something similar to Chiang Mai old city, anyway would like to spend 2 days walking around. Do you mean

I can catch a bus from Chiang Rai to Mae Chan, my main interest is to visit Doi Mae Salong. Actullay I do not know Mae Salong, is after reading some nice review from both of you,that made of my mind to go to this place. If I want to explore Doi Mae Salong, should

i stay at Mae Chan or Doi Mae Salong area, I on budget travel, do you came cross any nice guest house, which I can stay about 3 days.

I also like to visit Wat and Doi Tung is this place within Mae Salong, I a bit confuse on the location.

Tks.....................!!

cruise88

Chiangmai
5. Re: Doi Mae Solong

Not much in Chiang Rai city. Visit the market and night bazaar.

In Mae Salong.

Shin Sane Guest House and Bungalows.

Shared room 50 baht

double fan room 100 baht.

bungalow fan private room 200 baht.

Akha Mae Salong Guesthouse

across the road from Shin Shane

same prices, staff loads of fun.

Randy and Ning

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: Doi Mae Solong

Hi Randy n Ning

Tks for your recommendation.

Please help isn't the correct route, we also have no idea.

We take a bus in Chiang Mai from Chang Puak bus station to Thaton and stay 1 night at Thaton Chalet, we like to visit Wat very much , just like the large Buddha statues in Thaton, etc.

Next day from Thaton take long tailed boat departure 2pm to chiang rai. Stay put 1 night in Chiang Rai. On the website i have trying to find the boat schedule just can't find. The boat stop at Chiang Rai, so this is under what district.

Take a bus from Chiang Rai to Mae Chan , fetch songthew to Mae Salong and stay 2 nitghts at Shin Sane GH.

I have some question about the long tailed boat, do the boat travel from pier to pier or somebody wave they will stop and ferry the person over. By the way, how many bath per person?

In Chiang Mai, if I want to rent the songthew from 9am to 5pm,

how much is the charges? We have 3 person sharing the vehicle.

Frankly speaking we are not so keen in trekking, we prefer to

visit Wat, food, walking for nice mountain scenry and take a nice at some village that's all.

Thanks a lot!!!!.................................

Cruise

Chiangmai
7. Re: Doi Mae Solong

The boat leaves Thaton at 12:30. Don't know the price these days as we have taken private boats for the past 5 years or so. You can wave down the boats from villages and they will stop if not full.

If you plan to stop along the way best to notify the people at the boat dock in Thaton so other boats will look for you. You could be easily stranded as not many boats these days except the ones that leave on schedule and private boats that will not stop for you.

You need to look at a map of north Thailand, which is available on many web sites and google earth. I don't know how you can plan this without looking at a map.

Don't get lost,

Randy and Ning

8. Re: Doi Mae Solong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 05, 2009