We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai or Kuala Lumpur

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Delta, BC, Canada
reviews: 57
Chiang Mai or Kuala Lumpur

We're planning on visiting Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap and Singapore at the end of the year. A friend of ours said Chiang Mai is not worth visiting for 3 days. He suggested visiting Kuala Lumpur instead. What do you think?

Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 13
1. Re: Chiang Mai or Kuala Lumpur

It depends on what are your interests. I live in KL and CM is one of my favourite holiday destinations, simply it has plenty to offer, especially if you are interested in hill tribes and minority crafts in the region. Other activities have been posted in the forum many times as you probably already noticed. Shopping is much cheaper here and so is accomodation. It's also an ideal place just to chill out.

KL is another modern city, great for shopping too, wonderful selection of food, local (Chinese, Indian, Malay ..) and western. There are many day trips you can do from KL, trekking in the rainforest, visit the butterfly or bird park, waterfalls, museums, go on a boat trip to see the fireflies ... The hotel can easily arrange it for you.

Either place you'll have no problem to fill up your 3 days.

Gronau, Germany
reviews: 9
2. Re: Chiang Mai or Kuala Lumpur

TSC18 is right. You can easily fill up your 3 days in both places. However you cannot compare both either. KL is more modern, and CM is more charming. I have been to KL too and liked it very much, but I prefer CM. When I read your itinery I see you are planning to fly back via Singapore. Maybe you could consider to fly back from Kuala Lumpur instead of Singapore. Singapore is nice but only skyscrapers. Shopping there became expensive, same as the hotels. I went to Sentosa Island too. I cannot believe that people go there. But that is ofcourse my opinion. Maybe others love it. If you want to do some shopping then CM and/or KL would be better.

B.C. Canada
reviews: 52
3. Re: Chiang Mai or Kuala Lumpur

I have been looking at posting because I know nothing about Thailand and we are thinking of visiting next year and don't know where we should travel. I HAVE stayed in Singapore for 2 days and agree with the other post that it is just skyscrapers. Very expensive. Cost us $5.00 US for a regular coffee in the morning and we paid $10 for a beer.

4. Re: Chiang Mai or Kuala Lumpur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 05, 2009