We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring with Tong

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
India
reviews: 2
Touring with Tong

We are touring with someone from Tongs team on 28th Dec (dont know the guides name yet)

Here is what we will be doing:

1. Grand Palace

2. Wat Pho - Temple of the Reclining Buddha

3. Wat Traimit - Temple of the Golden Buddha

4. Wat Arun - Temple of the Dawn

5. Floating market

So what we dont see is the Tiger temple, River Kwain Jim Thompsons house and Chinatown.

Any suggestions on this schedule? any of the Wats which can be missed to include perhaps Jim Thompsons house or another place...

Any suggestion is welcome....

Boston...
reviews: 72
1. Re: Touring with Tong

Jim Thompson House is worth a visit if you can make it. It is something different. Get a cool drink at the cafe while you are there.

You shouldn't skip the Grande Palace or Wat Arun. They are both spectacular and really unique. Wat Pho is very very close to the Grand Palace. You won't need more than 20 minutes or so at Wat Pho.

The floating market is a bit of a hike and you probably will have to go early. Some people find it a highlight and others find it quite touristy. It is perhaps worth doing still since you are not on a big tour.

Wat Traimit would be the one I would skip if you can't fit it all in. I don't know how long you are going to be there, but Jim Thompson is easy to do on your own. You can get there by the sky train and you are required to do it with a tour guide, so you might be able to do this easily on a day when you are not with Tong

India
2. Re: Touring with Tong

Thanks admglick.. have written to Tong with the changes.. looking forward to the floating market and jim thompsons house :-)

nuneaton
reviews: 57
3. Re: Touring with Tong

when you go to the floating market get the guide to take you to the lady selling the bananas in batter , went there with tong , they are the beat ive ever tasted and were cooked in front of us while we were floating on the water

Gold Coast...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Touring with Tong

You must most definately make the effort to go and see Chinatown wether you are there for 1/2 hour or a couple of hours, like the Weekend Markets, this is something you cannot leave Bangkok without seeing. But do allow time for the Taxi on the way back to your hotel. Or I would do this with a Tour guide, that way you dont have to worry about Transport to and from (from being the issue).

India
5. Re: Touring with Tong

Wil surely keep the bananas and chinatown in mind and add that to our schedule. tong wrote back syaing our guide for the day will be charlie.. now i have read conflicting reports about him on the forum and am wondering if i should go with it or ask tong for an alternate.. any suggestions?

nuneaton
reviews: 57
6. Re: Touring with Tong

any problems you have tong will sort out , you will always be the most important person to her

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 7
7. Re: Touring with Tong

Hi,

We had Charlie yesterday for the temples and he was very good. He does speak really fast but you can usually pick up what he is saying. If you are really into the history and want to know everything then you might struggle a little but if you are pretty relaxed and more interested in just looking then you will be fine... I would get Charlie to do Chinatown with you for sure - you can spend an hour there... it was great! We would of skipped the Summer Palace as I didnt find it interesting at all but it looks like you are not doing that anyway... The first four on your list are all close together and very near Chinatown so try to squeeze it in!

Have fun!

Emjay x

8. Re: Touring with Tong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:31 am, August 26, 2009