We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

downgraded travel warning

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 5
downgraded travel warning

Hi everyone,

Just in case you weren't aware the Aust govt has downgraded its travel warning to "exercise high degree of caution" which is what is was before the coup. So I think that's a good sign and makes me feel a lot better about my trip in October.

Western Australia
1. Re: downgraded travel warning

Yes, nice to see. Perhaps we can all breath a small sigh of relief. Let's hope it all continues this way and our holidays are smoooooth sailing :-)

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 7
2. Re: downgraded travel warning

Thats fantastic! Hopefully everyone can get back to planning their holidays and stop worrying so much about the coup! Media!!!!

Bristol, United...
reviews: 9
3. Re: downgraded travel warning

Agree -media!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggggggggghh! When Churchill said democracy was not the best system but the least evil or whatever, the media did'nt have the same damaging effect on peoples thinking. This forum alone regarding "the chaos" in Thailand is an example of that. The daily Mirrors centre pages that my sister has just brought with her from England had my jaw open for an hour -mind boggling lies,misinformation and speculation!!!! No wonder the Islamic world views non-Muslims with some suspicion when we are so duped by our own media half the time! (sorry -rant over).

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 7
4. Re: downgraded travel warning

Hahahaha funny! I have spent the past few days trying to convince my mother that NO the bombs were not in Phuket, NO the coup isnt violent and YES I am going to survive travelling to Thailand!!!!! My mother looooooves the media!

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 91
5. Re: downgraded travel warning

Bangkokas,

Don't apologise for your rant. I can perfectly understand it! The media do not care about the repercussions they cause and unfortunately most of us are all too cautious and believe the hype.

The media love it. Sometimes we need to see through it.

Just like Emjay, never in a million would it have stopped me from travelling.

I do appreciate those of you that would worry but speaking via these forums to people that live in "effected areas" and being told by them that all is OK, is enough for me.

Storm in a teacup springs to mind.

Hope you have all continued with your plans.

Sarah

Australia
reviews: 5
6. Re: downgraded travel warning

Hi again everyone,

Just had to pop in and say that I totally agree with the whole media thing. Once I started to look on the net on the day the coup started I could tell that our media had blown it all out of proportion. Problem for me can you believe was that I had to convince my husband of this as he was adamant about cancelling our trip. So I have to be honest to say that the downgrading of the travel warning helped somewhat in my argument for why we should not cancel and yes we are still going to Bangkok in October HOORAY !!!. Happy holidays to all those travelling over there in the near or distant future.

7. Re: downgraded travel warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 22, 2009