We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Bangkok with a toddler ... Advise needed pleas

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
First trip to Bangkok with a toddler ... Advise needed pleas

Hi,

We are travelling to Bangkok in March. Its our first trip to Thailand and we are taking our daughter who is 1 and half with us. We will be reached Bangkok on Sunday March 2nd around noon.

I have a few questions,

Should we book all tours in advance with travel guides that I have found off Trip adviser or should we wait to book trips once we reach our hotel?

We are planning on staying in a hotel in Siam Square - Ratchaprasong,

How many days do you think we should give Bangkok? We want to do everything Bangkok has to offer and then go to Phuket or Krabi and Chaing Mai ...

Also we found a tour that takes you to visit Tiger Temple (Tong Tours), is it worth it? Can we combine it with any other tour?

Any suggestions/advise/comments would be really helpful ...

Some more information, we are in Thailand for 12 days, from March 2 from March 14, and we want to see and experience the highlights,

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
reviews: 40
1. Re: First trip to Bangkok with a toddler ... Advise needed pleas

Hi,

First, I would suggest booking tours when you arrive in Thailand - it is cheaper that way, and you can acclimatise yourself and your daughter. I would avoid a trip to the Tiger Temple, it is a long day trip (it is 3 hours out of Bangkok) and would not be a fun day with a toddler. Also, although I have been there, I was not impressed with their facilities etc - do more research and be informed about it.

It is easy to find your way around Bangkok, use the skytrain to avoid traffic (you are staying in a great location to make use of the skytrain). Although the main temples are not on the skytrain, but it is still easy to get there. It might be fun to use the water taxis to access Wat Arun and Wat Pho.

If you want tour guides, you can find them using your hotel when you get there, or there are agencies around that area too.

Coming from so far away, give yourself time in BKK to settle, maybe 3 days. Wander the Siam area, go to the temples and markets. Then I would go to Chaing Mai for a few days - there are kid friendly places in Cahing Mai like the Night Safari and Zoo, and it has a great vibe and wonderful handicrafts and night markets.

I really enjoyed Krabi - Ao Nang is the only place in Thailand I would say is actually stroller friendly! Ao Nang is a good base for interesting day trips to Phi Phi and snorkelling tours, although it doesn't have the best beach. There are good beaches not far from there though, that are easy to get to.

As a general thing - don't take a stroller to Thailand, use a backpack to carry your little one - the pavements can be atrocious, and when not uneven, are usually full of street vendors. Also, when using the BKK skytrain, the access points usually have only stairs, also stairs are used to cross the street safely, so strollers are a hassle.

New York City, New...
2. Re: First trip to Bangkok with a toddler ... Advise needed pleas

Thank you so much for all the advise.

I did plan on carrying my daughter everywhere instead of using a stroller as it will just be one more thing to take care of.

I really appreciate your response :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
reviews: 25
3. Re: First trip to Bangkok with a toddler ... Advise needed pleas

Since it is your 1st trip and you have a toddler I would actually recommend joining a tour. Bangkok is hot, humid, crowded and chaotic. I think it would be helpful to have a guide show you around and offer info on the ins and outs of the city. That way when you venture out by yourself you will have an idea of what to expect, do, eat etc.

Canberra, Australia
reviews: 40
4. Re: First trip to Bangkok with a toddler ... Advise needed pleas

Also, don't forget to factor in nap time when working out your day. Be busy in the morning and do tours etc then, when it is less hot. Then back to hotel for a sleep, then a swim if hotel has pool, and then out again to look around. We did this when we travelled and it worked well. Remember to keep everyone well hydrated - and wear hats and sunscreen. Pop into air conditioned shopping malls if it is getting too hot.

Exmouth, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: First trip to Bangkok with a toddler ... Advise needed pleas

hi there. we have 2 children (6 & 4yrs) and were in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago. Providing that the protests are not affecting the area, we stumbled across Lumpini park which was a wonderful haven in the middle of the city with play parks and swan boating. It was a nice break for the children from the busy city.

Pawtucket, RI
6. Re: First trip to Bangkok with a toddler ... Advise needed pleas

If your kid hasn't been on a plane before maybe see your pediatrician first. Some babies cry a lot because they are normally mean little buggers and some others have painful earaches. Your airline may have information concerning flying with infants.

…pediacare.com/2013/…

Have a nice time in Thailand.

Reply to: First trip to Bangkok with a toddler ... Advise needed pleas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted