We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 hours at BKK, can you help please?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dhaka City...
reviews: 17
18 hours at BKK, can you help please?

Hi,

I have to plan a sudden visit to Thailand in 10 days & please excuse my knowledge level about Bangkok. I will be at Bangkok for 17 hours only (2:00 AM to 7:00 PM on 18th May). In this limited time, is it possible to visit the closest floating market, closest temple & Khao San Road? what places will you suggest to a couple?

Eagerly looking for experts to help me out!

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 87
1. Re: 18 hours at BKK, can you help please?

Are 2am and 7pm the scheduled and arrival and departure times of your flights, or something else? Which airports are in used. If you fly in and out through Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport, these timings would give you 12 hours in downtown Bangkok. If you want to be sure to catch an outgoing international flight, you should start towards airport about 3 hours before the flight.

Do your plans include any sleep and showers while in Bangkok? If you omit those, you should be able to tour Damnoen Saduak floating market, visit one major temple and have a meal at Khao San Road in the mid afternoon before taking a taxi to airport about 4pm. However, I'm baffled what would be the attraction of the Khao San backpacker ghetto in the afternoon.

With google search you can find companies offering tours to Damnoen Saduak. One is willing to organize a private tour costing 4600 baht for two person from 7am to 12:30pm. With a private tour you probably can agree on a drop-off near the temple(s) that you want to visit. Khao San is fairly close to famous temples like Wat Phra Kaew and Wat Pho.

If you arrive at Suvarnabhumi, you could have some authentic but average Thai food at the 24/7 Magic Food Point food court which serves primarily the airline staff. After that you can take a taxi downtown before the traffic jams congeal. However, between 3am and 6am you are facing a dead time during which it is dark, legal nightlife has closed down and public rail transportation is not running. One idea is visiting the flower market near Wat Pho, since it is most alive during this time. For breakfast you can catch some street food.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 223
2. Re: 18 hours at BKK, can you help please?

To add to the above, do try the street food in Bangkok as I found it to be amazingly wonderful. This is something that you should not miss out while in Bangkok...

Was there a week ago and tried so much of it and had no regrets...

Edited: 7:52 am, May 07, 2013
3. Re: 18 hours at BKK, can you help please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 09, 2014