We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sofia
reviews: 26
Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

Hi all! We are planning a trip to Thailand and Bangkok is our starting point. I am torn about which location to choose as this is our first time in Bangkok.

I like the riverside hotels but I wonder whether this location would be convenient in terms of transportation and exploration. Also what do you think about Sathorn?

We are a couple in our late 20s, looking for a luxury high rise hotel, since Bangkok has such beautiful views. We would like to visit Sukhumvit, the Chatuchak market and the rooftop bars in Lebua and the Banyan Tree.

Any input would be highly appreciated! Thank you all in advance :))

London
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 128
1. Re: Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

For me Shangrila and Mandarin Oriental would be my first choices of riverside hotels, You mention Sukhumvit in which case I would go for The Landmark (right next to Nana BTS station for convenient transport links all over Bangkok or the JW Marriott a nice hotel but IMHO a bit overpriced and not such a convenient location.

Leeds, United...
reviews: 34
2. Re: Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

Riverside is the best area in Bangkok. If you can find a hotel near to Saphan Taksin BTS even better. You have great views of the river, less air pollution. Also good riverside transport with the boats taking you to the temples and Bangkok's major attractions. There is a free shuttle from Taksin pier to take you to the excellent Asiatique shopping complex which is a must see in the early evening

Sathon is also a very good area not too far from the river with BTS close by in Surasak or Chong Nonsi

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
3. Re: Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

At the high end of budget Mandarin and Shangri La, a bit less the Royal Orchid Sheraton, whichever hotel you choose make sure you get a room facing the river.

tel aviv
reviews: 42
4. Re: Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

How is the area there at night? Is it lively and safe?

London
reviews: 40
5. Re: Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

Yes the riverside is beautiful however nightlife is not as good as Sukhumvit if not too quiet... There are loads of good hotels in Sukhumvit area or you could stay at Banyan tree which is in Sathorn and not far from both the riverside and Sukumvit!!! For me I have stayed at Khosan rd, riverside and Sukhumvit and the latter does it for me only stayed at the other 2 once.

And in terms of safety, I can only speak for Sukhumvit which is that it is very safe....that from someone who is usually street bar hopping early hours of the morning chatting to local and meeting new people. :)))

Flying to Bangkok tomorrow, cannae wait!!

Edited: 6:05 pm, April 23, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 88
6. Re: Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

Riverside is lovely area and very safe.

Sofia
7. Re: Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

Wow! Thank you for the input everyone!

Sofia
8. Re: Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

Actually the Banyan Tree was my preferred hotel from the beginning. I was just a little concerned, because many reviews on tripadvisor claim that it is not convenient for transportation and that the ares is more for business and less for leisure and exploration. What do you reckon?

London, England
reviews: 90
9. Re: Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

The busy South Sathorn Road, on which the Banyan Tree is situated is not in the "heart" of tourist areas for nightlife such as Sukhumvit Road, but is perfectly good for access: 10 minute stroll to Sala Daeng for Patpong, BTS etc., and similar distance northwards to get to Lumpini station for the MRT underground train. There were a couple of recent TA strands about Banyan Tree - check what was said in those. Travel around central Bangkok is easy, whether by BTS, MRT or taxi, as you will see from the FAQs on "getting around".

London, United...
reviews: 88
10. Re: Best hotel location for 3-4 days in Bangkok

The Banyan Tree is an easy 10 minute stroll to Sala Daeng Skytrain.