We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel and itinerary help/advice

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Preston, United...
Hotel and itinerary help/advice

Hi all

Shall be in Bangkok as part of my honeymoon in May and im struggling on what hotel to pick.

We will be there for 2 nights after previously being in Koh Samui for 12 nights (we have never been to Thailand)

I have found the following within our £100 a night budget

Lebua at state tower -Riverview Suite

Chatrium - Grand Suite 1 bed river view

Anantara Riverside - Deluxe Premier riverview

Banyan tree - Deluxe room

From the research i had done already i thought riverside might be a good location for us, however im thinking as we are only there a short time maybe a more central location would be better? which of the above do you think would be the best?

we arrive early on the 13th May so was planning to do some sort of tour around the temples and along the river (have emailed Tong and waiting to hear back) not sure if to do a half day or full, or split over two days?

then going to book for dinner on the LoyNava on the first night.

im struggling for what to do on the 2nd day, we are not massive shoppers but i would like to visit some form of market and just soak in the culture...is there any particular market you could recommend that is easy enough to get to for first timers?

sorry for the waffling, im feeling a bit overwhelmed! :)

thanks for any help you can offer

Abi

Worldwide
reviews: 620
1. Re: Hotel and itinerary help/advice

My criteria for a hotel (other than style and price) include

1. Location near a SkyTrain, underground, or Airport Link rail station;

2. Location near a park (Bangkok parks are great places in the early morning, and also between about 6 and 8-9 PM);

3. The riverside is great.

Personally, I trade away the riverside for park access (and then spend time on the Express Boat and at a riverside restaurant to get that partly back) - but appreciate those who do the opposite. But, if you are split between a riverside hotel and being centrally located - being walking distance to Saphan Taksin BTS station may resolve that potential conflict. Thus another hotel to suggest for the mix - the Shangri-La, which is riverside but also adjacent to the BTS station and the central pier for the Express Boat. Promotions are often close to your budget. For a centrally located near-park option, a club level room at the Dusit Thani might be worth checking on.

Of course, you don't need to stay at the same hotel for all your days in a particular area. But 2 nights in Bangkok are probably too short a visit for hotel hopping..

Otherwise, your hotels and other details all seem fine - and the best choice for you can only be determined by yourselves.

Personally, I would put a bit less time into Samui and a bit more into some other place (Bangkok or elsewhere) on a first visit. But I'm sure that you've thought as much about your Samui stay as about this one in Bangkok, so are well prepared for that as well.

Chatuchak would be the popular recommendation for a market visit. But it doesn't look like a fit to your non-weekend scheduled days in Bangkok... Some of the places around Chatuchak (such as our favourite benjarong place in Chatuchak Plaza, on Kamphaeng Phet 2 Road to the west of Chatuchak Weekend Market itself) are open weekdays. That might work for a few hours (perhaps more appropriate to your stated goal than a whole day of shopping). The map on the link below shows where Chatuchak Plaza is located compared with the Weekend Market, and to the SkyTrain and underground stations.

bangkokforvisitors.com/shopping/markets/chat…

I'm not really a fan of Pratunam market - but others love it...

Australia
reviews: 4
2. Re: Hotel and itinerary help/advice

We recently (early last month) stayed for 2 nights in a 1 bedroom river-view suite at the Chatrium and loved it. 2 weeks previous to that we stayed for 4 nights in another hotel in the Sukumvit area.

We loved the Chatrium and found it to be in a very convenient and pleasant location.

It is a pleasant 5 minute trip in the free shuttle boat, which runs all day (until midnight) to the Taksim Central Pier. Here you can get the BTS (skytrain) or hop on another boat to go anywhere along the river.

The time and cost to and from the airport were much the same from both hotels, but we loved that the Chatrium is away from the noise and smells of the very busy traffic in Bangkok.

The views from the infinity pool and the balcony (especially at night) were stunning.

Preston, United...
3. Re: Hotel and itinerary help/advice

Thankyou for the detailed info, I had looked at chatuchak but wasn't sure if its worth doing on a weekday.

I did have a look st the shangri-la but it was coming in over budget, would it be worth paying the extra over the others?

Thanks for the map aswell-very helpful!

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 56
4. Re: Hotel and itinerary help/advice

Hi there

We stayed at Banyan Tree and LOVED it!! (get the Club Access)

It is a little far from things, we not too far but it can be annoyed..

Shangri-La is on the river and right next to the BTS (Sky train) we found this location very handy!

tours with tong are really good! We did 2 with her company, she can take a little while to get back to you but is worth the wait!

Please feel free to contact me and ill be happy to provide a link with pictures and stories of our adventures in Bangkok and Thailand in 2011 & 2012

Thanks

Jakarta
reviews: 32
5. Re: Hotel and itinerary help/advice

Hi i have a some problem with pick a hotel my budget hotel up to THB 1.200 per night.i am search a nice hotel or hostel,etc. with a pool on khaosan rd.any suggestion??

Pawtucket, RI
6. Re: Hotel and itinerary help/advice

dymasaditiya

"Hi i have a some problem with pick a hotel my budget hotel up to THB 1.200 per night.i am search a nice hotel or hostel,etc. with a pool on khaosan rd.any suggestion??"

I never stay in the Khao San Road area, I like to use the Skytrain. Look over this place - Rambuttri Village Inn & Plaza.

r24.org/thailand1x1.com/…pictures.html

Lemon Seed. Close to shopping in Pratunam area. Walk to Skytrain stop. Walk to Panthip Plaza, walk to Platinum Mall and wholesale market. Don't think there is a pool.

http://www.lemonseed-rooms.com/

Imm Fusion. Near On Nut Skytrain stop on Sukhumvit Road. Lotus Tesco Mall nearby.

agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/imm_fusion_s…

Three choices in 3 different areas.

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

7. Re: Hotel and itinerary help/advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 08, 2014