We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Metro DC
reviews: 3
Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

If we do the Grand Palace and Royal Temple in the morning - is it doable to walk to Chinatown to have lunch and then walk back to do the Wat Pho or walk over to the Golden Mount for the afternoon sightseeing? How far is it between these places and are there good sidewalks to walk on ? (Based on my map, it looks like they are all within 1 mile of each other.)

Also, how would be get back from Golden Mount to our hotel located by the BTS Chong Nonsi station? Which metro or train station is close to Golden Mount?

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 7
1. Re: Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

You can walk if you like , but it's quite far from the Grand Palace , also in during a day it's hot.

Golden Mount not close BTS and MRT , you might have to catch a Bus or Taxi.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
reviews: 33
2. Re: Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

From Golden Mount I would take the Saen Saep canal boat to Hua Chang Bridge, 3 to 5 minutes walk from Ratchathewi BTS station (15 minutes, 12 baht). The BTS to Siam, change lines and then to Chong Nonsi on the Silom Line.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
reviews: 25
3. Re: Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

Yes, but it depends on your definition of walking distance and walkable.

I have gotten off the Klong Boat, walked to the Goldern Mount, cut through to Chinatown and then to the Grand Palace. Its is quite a bit of walking (especially if you kept getting lost like I did).

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
4. Re: Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

From the Grand Palace, hop on an orange flag Chao Phraya Express Boat and take it to Ratchawong (15 baht). It's a short walk to Chinatown. But if this is just to have lunch with the intention of returning to Rattankosin Island later, you may want to reconsider. There are plenty of much closer places for lunch without having to schlepp back and forth in the midday heat.

Metro DC
5. Re: Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

Thank you all for your comments. I agree that walking a mile when it is 90 F and sunny will not be comfortable. Just been there when we visited Tokyo the first week in Sept when they were having a heat wave and it was in the 90s the entire week we were there. Seems to be our luck that the heat wave always follows us where ever we visit.

Are there plenty of places to eat by the Grand Palace that are not tourist traps? Any suggestions?

Is there a map show routes of the canal boats ? Do the canal boats run often and are the stops numbered or labeled in English?

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
6. Re: Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

For one thing, the street food market near Tha Chang pier is first rate. You could also eat at The Deck right on the river if you want a western style restaurant, just around the corner from the GP. On Phra Athit Road there are lots of small and large restaurants and eateries like Khun Daeng austinbushphotography.com/blog/khun-daeng.ht… Krua Apsorn on Samsen Road is a legendary eatery: …blogspot.com/2011/01/krua-apsorn.html Sordaeng, an old school restaurant at Democracy Monument, is a unique experience: austinbushphotography.com/blog/sorndaeng.html

Here's info on the Saen Saep boats: bangkok.com/attraction-waterway/khlongs-khlo…

And here: …wikipedia.org/wiki/Khlong_Saen_Saep_Express…

There are romanized signs on the piers.

Edited: 8:38 pm, October 16, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
7. Re: Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

TimeshareQueen

If you really want to go to Chinatown for lunch just get on the number 1 bus that stops on the other side of the road opposite the Grand Palace entrance. It will take you into the heart of Chinatown for 8 baht, and this bus id very frequent.

Alan

Metro DC
8. Re: Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

Alan:

Thank you for the suggestion about the bus - that would be great. How easy would be for a first timer to do this - will I know where to get off since I have never been to Bangkok before?

Any announcements or electronic posting of stops in English?

Joyce

Bangkok, Thailand
9. Re: Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

Joyce

The number 1 bus is very easy. Opposite the Grand Palace entrance you will see a small triangle of land with a bus stop on it, (it is blue with a picture of a bus on it). You will know Chinatown when you see it! It has numerous gold shops and a great deal of the signage is in Chinese. It is only about 1 mile so that should only take the bus about 2 hours to get there, (a little exaggeration maybe).

The clippy sometimes shouts out the location, but unless you are familiar with Thai with a Bangkok accent then you don't stand much chance. If you have newspaper sellers on the streets of DC who shout out the headlines in such a way that what they are saying is incomprehensible, then this will give you some idea what you will be dealing with when the clippy makes an announcement. Electronic postings may happen one day, but not in my lifetime.

Hope this helps

Alan

10. Re: Walking distance between Grand Palace and Chinatown??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:05 am, October 18, 2012