We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bangkok for the first time -- need hotel help

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
simi valley
bangkok for the first time -- need hotel help

My friend and I are going to bangkok in 2 and half weeks for the first time. We will be staying there for only 3 nights. We're having a hard time figuring out where to stay. We wanted Holiday Inn Silom but I heard they are under renovation right now, so we are also considering Sofitel, but we're not sure. Since we're there for such a short time, we want to make sure that our hotel is very convenient in terms of airport transfers and helping us out while we're there (we don't want to get lost in translation! haha)We're students and trying to keep the budget under $100/night. Should we go for either? Shoud we look into Skuhumvit too or stick to Silom? Which part is better in terms of location (near river and shopping, commuting, and safety?

Bangkok, Thailand
1. Re: bangkok for the first time -- need hotel help

US$100 will get you some serious good accomodation.

Dont worry about airport transfer as most down town hotels are within 45 - 60 minutes of the airport.

Take a look at the links to the side of this forum for a hotel in the areas you said and come back if you need opinion

Phuket
2. Re: bangkok for the first time -- need hotel help

The Sofitel is not a bad choice. Right next to the Mo Chit sky train station and the Chatuchak subway station so very easy to get into town. And the Sofitel is right on the doorstep of the famous weekend market (hope you are here on a weekend!).

Also - it is only about 30 minutes MAX to the airport - if you take the tollway (about B20 from there).

Photos and info of Sofitel:

r24.org/5starthailand.com/…

simi valley
3. Re: bangkok for the first time -- need hotel help

thanks guys!

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 9
4. Re: bangkok for the first time -- need hotel help

I think Tedkarma is talking about a different Sofitel to the one you mean if you are planning to stay in the Silom area. The Sofitel Silom is located on the Silom road and so near the Silom line Skytrain not near the weekend market. The Silom area is a good location as there is quite a bit happening at night and easy to get around during the day on the skytrain. Check out asiarooms.com for location maps, customer reviews etc. Cheers Catherine

Mona Vale, Australia
reviews: 2
5. Re: bangkok for the first time -- need hotel help

The Millenium Hilton (opened only this month) is doing great opening rates of $95US per night on their website, we are booked there in July 06. This is the link: www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml…