We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble in Bangkok??

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 13
Trouble in Bangkok??

Hi to all,

We were planning on spending a few nights, early May, in Bangkok with our 2 children (5 & 7) before we head off to Phuket but have heard recent reports of trouble escalating again! Am I reading too much into this or is it just media 'hype'? I certainly don't want to put my children at ANY risk??

If we do still go I am also asking for any advice about the best things to do in Bangkok with children. We may go via KL yet??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bangkok, Thailand
1. Re: Trouble in Bangkok??

Media hype. There has not been any trouble in Bangkok for close to a year and even during the worst fighting last year it had no affect on Phuket.

There is lots to see and do in perfectly peaceful Bangkok and it would be a shame to miss Thailand's heart and soul. Siam Ocean World, Lumpini Park, Akstra Theater Puppet Show, Dream World, a ride along the river, etc. Also have a look at the Top Questions on the right "What to See & Do".

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Trouble in Bangkok??

I haven't seen any reports of trouble escalating in Bangkok (though the news in Asia has been dominated by the events in Japan). A number of detained red shirt leaders have been released on bail, and as a result several other activists have reported to the police in return for bail. I don't regard that as an escalation, indeed the opposite.

There are frequent red shirt demos in Bangkok, but they have all passed off peacefully. I watched one in December, and though the demonstrators "broke through the police lines", there was no violence; the police retreated 100m and watched what you would otherwise have thought was a party. I'll post a link to my photos when I get back to my computer.

As the resident Bangkok forum members have said ..... there is nothing to worry about .. there is nothing to worry about ... there is nothing to worry about :)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
3. Re: Trouble in Bangkok??

Hi,

From a residents viewpoint, I'd agree with USB, there's not much right here, right now that looks overtly dangerous.. but.. to be fair, the issue(s) that drove a fair bit of last years violence are still- for the most part- unresolved.. so I do think it's fair to say that it's a possibility...

With that said, I don't think that the odds are overtly high that anything like what you saw last year is an immediate safety or security risk in the short to mid-term.

Naturally, you'd be wise to keep abreast of local news, but this would apply *anywhere* you'd go-- and is not exclusive to Bangkok or Thailand.

Travel Safe,

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Phangan, Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 42
4. Re: Trouble in Bangkok??

We are going to Bangkok in June with our 5 and 7 year old daughters and I have booked the Rice Barge trip on the river, the Grand Palace and the Siam Niramit show. Also heading to Amphawa for the Floating Night Market which I think my girls will enjoy and we will stay overnight so we can present alms to the monks the next morning.

Melbourne
reviews: 13
5. Re: Trouble in Bangkok??

Thank you for all for this info!!

It has made me feel a lot more at ease. I will keep an eye on the news as well but as i thought- it is all media hype!!

Good to see others traveling to Bangkok with kids too - there does seem a fair bit to do their. I am definitely taking my girls to the floating markets - my mum went there last year and loved it. Thanks for the other ideas to.

Cheers, :)

Bangkok, Thailand
6. Re: Trouble in Bangkok??

a little bit seriously politics in bangkok , there's no violent as last year...

they are all in calm counter-protest.

because the group of disagree people is not the same group of violence last year.

enjoy your trip.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
7. Re: Trouble in Bangkok??

Last year, we went to Krabi at the height of the problems in Bangkok, if there's problems you can't stop off in Bangkok but you can travel to anywhere else in Thailand in transit via Bangkok, if the worst comes to the worse you'll just go on ahead to Phuket.

Bangkok, Thailand
8. Re: Trouble in Bangkok??

"because the group of disagree people is not the same group of violence last year." Not correct, the UDD (red shirts) are still holding protests and they were the group involved in the violence last year. The PAD (Yellow Shirts) are also holding protests. None of these rallies are a problem.

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 15
9. Re: Trouble in Bangkok??

I think she means the army and the famous "mysterious dark figures" !

;-)

Edited: 5:17 am, March 16, 2011
adelaide,australia
reviews: 40
10. Re: Trouble in Bangkok??

don't worry I just come back from both places and I did not see any trouble in either cities. Bit on the border but that has finished.

A stop in Bangkok is not complete without seeing the main temple. The largest in Thailand. Do not do the boat ride before they try to sell you. A BIG rip off. Any taxi driver will get you there . Go after 10 am bet the traffic. Taxis in Bangkok are very cheap.

My best advice would take a mini bus to Krabi, Ao nang or near. . Beaches are not the best but It is quieter, Krabi town good cheap shopping . Hotel are cheaper. Try Ananta Burin resort and spa. Just the drive from Phuket to Krabi was worth it. Beautiful .

Edited: 1:01 am, May 15, 2011