We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothing copies

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton, United...
reviews: 2
clothing copies

have heard that if you take apattern or picture of some sort of clothing that you like to a tailor, they knock it up for you really cheaply... is this true? and to where would i go for this sort of thing?

i am going with my boyfriend in march 2007, staying 3 nts in bangkok at the imperial queens, and 11 in phuket at the merlin beach resort.

any tips??

many thanks

Emma

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 11
1. Re: clothing copies

Since you have more days in phuket, getting it done in phuket might be a better idea.

Pattaya, Thailand
reviews: 1
2. Re: clothing copies

Just about all the tailors do this - in most thay show you fashion magazines and ask you to show what style you want copied. As a very rough rule of thumb the less you pay the more dodgy the likely quality but paying top whack is probably pointless. Remember that what the tailors do is measure you then send it out to subontracted manufacturers so you could pay one tailor 30% more than another to have it made by the same person!Don't leave it until the last minute so that you have to pick your clothes up and run so to speak - if it's not quite right you can always ask for it to be refitted and refitted and ....

There is quite a collection of tailors in bangkok on the soi that goes down the side of the ambassodor hotel on sukhumvit road, and no shortage in patong.

Many years ago I did exactly the holiday you have at the imperial queenspark and then the merlin - super hotels!

My other tip for you - to get acclimatised on your first night out, walk to sukhumvit road, turn left and cross the road - the first soi you come to, walk down there - on it you will find about 200 yards along soi cowboy , one of the "entertainment "zones(ie gogo bars) but you ought to maybe see such a place - back on the soi there is past soi cowboy le dalat if you fancy some quite classy vietnamese food and quite a walk further down bahn kanita which has I think once been voted one of the best thai restaurants in bangkok ( though on your first night I alwyas think some blander european food might be a better idea if your system is feeling a bit frail). Walk back down the soi past soi cowboy to sukhumvit and just past soi cowboy is the ship inn, a british style bar, no sleaze and nice food( for years on my first night back in bangkok I used to there for a steak sandwich ). Back on sukhumvit road walk back toward your hotel but don't cross the road, and slightly past your soi you walk througha nice little flower market, and can try the basement londoner pub which too has really nice food, and another 200 yards further along is the robin hood again good food and no sleaze and on the soi down the side of the robin hood is the bulls head pub - I think it's a nice walk to get you used to the sights . smells and humidity - and to rehydrate yourself along the way!

Los Angeles. Ca.
3. Re: clothing copies

I am Sheila Travel agent. I have stayed in Bangkok many times and I have had some jackets and dresses made by Harrymans. They are located in the Shopping Centre next to the Sheraton Hotel Riverside. I take either a picture of what I want or a pattern. The magazines that these shops carry are of Thai style clothes and different to what you might like. They have beautiful fabrics including the lovely Thai silks. I had a jacket made of Ribbon embroidery on Thai silk in Emerald green. It cost about $75.00 inc fabric. I was told by a friend who works in Nordstrom that it would be have $500.00

price tag in the US.

I have also found many tailors in the Sukomvit Road area. They can make an item in 3 days or I have had them mail them to me.

Northampton, United...
4. Re: clothing copies

hi... wow, sounds great!

i know its over a year away but i am still sooo excited. isnt that strange- that you've done exactly the same holiday as me! from what i've read, the 2 hotels do sound lovely.

I'm so greatful for your advice, I've never been long haul before (some travel agent hey!) but im looking forward to it greatly!

Emma_travel_agent