We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

I will be going to Bangkok in August for about 3 days and i want to do a bit of shopping while im there. I am not sure where the best shopping malls are and also the best markets. Your feedback is mostly appreciated.

Melbourne
reviews: 1
1. Re: Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

MBK is a huge shopping mall that is accessible by Skytrain. It was definetly my favourite place to shop!

In terms of market, I like Patpong market and one of the night markets! Just do a search through google, or ask one of the experts on here and you will easily access details. When I return (mid February) I am making sure I go to Chattachuk (sp?)market.

The best way to get to these places is the skytrain, or if not try either a tuk-tuk or taxi!

Bangkok
reviews: 2
2. Re: Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

What are your shopping list ?

Suan Lum Night Bazaar and Jatuchak Market are the must!!!!The rest depend on where you're staying. MBK is full of cheap thing to buy. Paragon, Emporium, Gaysorn, Erawan Bangkok are full of top class brand name and designed Thai top products. Pratunam, Baiyoke and Bobae are full of clothes mainly can be exported.

Good luck !!

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 10
3. Re: Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

Agree MBK is definetly a great place to shop, you can basically get everything you want under one airconditioned roof. Patpong is good to see but very expensive compared to elsewhere eg they charge 3-4 times the prices for bags (vuitton etc) than at Pratunam, MBK or even just a few metres away on the stalls on the Silom road. We went to Chatuchak market this time but honestly found it pretty junky, the fruit was good though. The shopping opportunities in Bangkok are endless. Enjoy!

Warwick, United...
reviews: 30
4. Re: Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

The Suam Lum (Sp) nightmarketis due to close in Feb, so Patpong would be an option. I personally didn't like patpong and found it overpriced. The weekend market is an easy Skytrain ride (Mo Chit) get there early 9am as i gets HOT HOT HOT and very busy. Buy Nancy's map and go in at Gate 3 (i think) about a 5 minutes walk from the skytrain. This gets you in to the nicer section of the market. Plan what you would like to see and check out the map accordingly.

Enjoy its a great (and cheap) experience.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 10
5. Re: Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

The information on Suan Luam is not necessarily true. This information was posted on this forum several days ago

"Posted on: 12:17 am, Jan 05, 2006 Report inappropriate post

Just check with the Police station nearby....

WILL NOT CLOSE in Feb 06. It will still the place for night shopping for at least until Dec. You can still enjoy your shopping here. Don't listen to the information without reliable source!!!!!!"

Bangkok
6. Re: Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

A little bit out of the beaten track, difficult to reach by public transport and hardly any tourist, but I like The Mall Bangkae. Huge shopping mall on the outskirts, might be the biggest in Bangkok. Another place which my wife likes very much are the evening stalls at Ramkamheang Road, stalls full of cheap fancy clothing and shoes (mainly for women). Or try The Mall Bangkapi with next to it an upcoming big street-market. (also in the evening until 22.00 hrs).

Steve

East Coast
7. Re: Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

Aussie-

I just returned from Bangkok today, and as far as shopping, you need to know that your best deals for shopping will not be had in Bangkok, but rather, in Chiang Mai, as most of the fine Thai crafts-silver, silks, lovely hand-made Thai dolls, wooden objects, are made there, and the Chiang Mai Night Market is the best market ever-some really good deals can be had there if you know how to bargain well.

As far as Bangkok, yes, you can go to the big western-style shopping malls, like Gaysorn, Siam Center, and the new Siam Paragon mall, but you'll find the lux shops and high-priced items marked up just as you would at home. Paragon is good for the fab new aquariam Ocean World, which just opened and is excellent, otherwise, this mall, and the others mentioned hold no interest for me in terms of shopping, whatsoever.

But there IS one shopping arcade in the area of BTS skytrain Siam/National Stadium that you need to go to: MBK. MBK is very local, and there are great pearl, gold, electronics and clothing shops within this complex, where you can do some bargaining and get a good deal-this is the place that the locals shop-and you should too-I got a very good price on a 23 karat gold ring, and pearl earrings here.

As far as markets, I always recommend the Suan Lum Night Market, located just at Lumphini subway stop (take BTS skytrain to Saladaeng, then get off, and follow the "M" signs to the Metro, buy your token at the machine for Lumphini, and there you are-very very easy.

Suan Lum should be experienced before it closes-and it IS closing by Feb. 2006 (sorry folks, I just read a big article about its closing in the Bangkok Nation newspaper -the promises to stay open longer did not come through-the Govt. has the property slated for big development-a retail shopping and high end condominium complex). Suan Lum is ever so much better than Chatuchat market because it is at night, with none of the sweltering heat at Chat. Market, which is open only during the day, it is close in the city, where Chat is at the very end of BTS skytrain stop Mo Chit, you can move around much more easily, there are beer gardens, and music performances on stage-in other words, it is set up for tourists, but many locals come there too, for socializing/entertainment purposes-highly recommended-and you can get some good deals there-I got a lovely wooden Buddha for a very good price there last year.

There are many other local markets that you may wish to see if you have time-I would never bother with Patpong-too sleazy an area, and the goods are pretty inferior-MBK mall and Suan Lum Night Bazaar are far better in terms of product.

You MUST however, get yourself to the Jim Thompson main store on Surawongse Road-have a taxi take you-JT silk goods are some of the finest anywhere in the world, and it is a real status symbol to carry a silk purse, tie, or the terrific new black or pink t-shirts in cotton-lycra with the "JT" design in small rhinestones on the front-you CANNOT get these things on ebay or in any online store-you MUST be in BKK for this, so it is truly a unique product, (unlike most of the buddhas and other wooden goods you buy in the markets, which show up in Cost Plus or Pier One all the time).

Although there are many JT stores in the big hotels, they don't carry the range of merchandise that the main store does-oh, and a highlight of any BKK trip is to see the incomparably lovely antique Thai "JIM THOMPSON HOUSE" which is not located near the main store-and its great little Thai restaurant-this is THE thing to do in Bangkok.

There are many other great little shopping markets in BKK as well-the Thieves market for amulets, Pratunam, to name a couple, but this should get you started.

Los Angeles
reviews: 17
8. Re: Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

Can anyone give an estimate on what kind of prices you pay for items at the markets in Thailand? For example, I can buy a new style (no real leather) Louis Vuitton purse in NYC for ~$50. And a Chanel cambon tote for ~$25. Will the bargains for these types of items be better in Thailand?

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 11
9. Re: Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

Shopping in bangkok really depends on what youare looking for.

At MBK:

Shoes, Clothes, gifts for friends, handbags, belts, tshirts, shirts, children's clothes, food, snacks

At Chatuchak

basically a flea market

Suan Lum Night Bazaar

A nice night market that is priced for tourists (be ready to bargain)

At Siam Paragon or Emporium

Branded goods that are not cheap

Central Chidlom

Central's flagship store

Patpong Night Market

Counterfeit products (check the product properly as these people moonlight)

Singapore
10. Re: Best Shopping Places in Bangkok

Hi,

I am also planning to go Bangkok in Aug. Does anybody know where to find shark fin / birds' nests shop (proper shop) which usually travel agents bring tourists to? I am not referring to Yaowarat.

How about gem jewellery shop?

Thank you