We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
reviews: 5
Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

I have hard time deciding which is better for a trip (with kids) from Bangkok. We might stay overnight.

Up until now I understand that Ayuthaya is closer, but spread on a large area with no clear order or clear "must sees" in order to choose.

Lopburi is farther, but easier to walk through.

Which of them includes more whole buildings, not just ruins of fantastic history?

Which got better self explenatory information on site?

Which is nicer?

Transportation:

We would like to continue from this point to Kanchanabory for another couple of days, and then back to Bangkok. What is the easiest transportation option? is self driven car rental a good option?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
1. Re: Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

You can fly to Sukhothai with Bangkok Airways, that might suit you. You can find very detailed information on:

http://tepsilp.su.ac.th/sukhothai/

Also go to Yahoo Thailand and click for Thailand searches, many are in Thai but also English, and a general Yahoo for Sukhothai will give you plenty of information, a nice place to stay their is the 'Museum Gallery Hotel', they can arrange all the tours/guide etc.

They will also arrange a car and driver to drive you south to Kanchanaburi area.

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
2. Re: Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

Ayutthaya info:

…thailandtoday.com/sightseeing/ex0003_ayutth…

I have been to Ayutthaya and it is worthwhile. There are museums worth seeing which will fill in some of the details missing from the ruins.

I haven't been to Lopburi yet but think the kids may enjoy the monkeys. I intend to go when I return to Thailand in November.

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
3. Re: Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

I used Lost Horizons Eco-Travel last November to book tours of Khao Soke National Park and to book for Krabi and Ko Phra Thong (sadly wiped out last December by the tsunami).

The price-quality of their service was great. Not too expensive, transport in private a/c cars. I recommend them. They also do Kanchanaburi tours so check it out.

losthorizonsasia.com/river_kwai_rafthouse.asp

Bangkok
reviews: 2
4. Re: Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

Hell Fire Pass in Kanchanaburi..

It's a musuem funded by Australian Government and very much self explanatory within the building and trekking route. It's about 45 mins from River Kwai bridge.

Between Ayuthaya and Lopburi, I recommend Ayuthaya with the nice lunch by the river.

Israel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

Thank you all!

Australia
6. Re: Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

We did with kids in tow both and they loved Lopburi with the monkeys far better than ayuthaya. Lopburi isnt that much further.

Chicago, IL
7. Re: Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

hi,

i have been to both lop buri and ayuttaya and i definitely prefer the former. ayutthaya is, like you said, very spread out and a little underwhelming, especially considering it's UNESCO status. Also, if you are coming in via rail, you have to cross a river. Lop buri is better due to three things

1. wild monkeys

2. ruins that are almost as good

3. monkeys, need i say more

also, i wouldn't recommend staying overnight. both places can be seen in a couple of hours.

Hell, Norway
8. Re: Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

One very different alternative is Muang Boran (Ancient City) http://www.ancientcity.com one hour south of Bangkok and can easily be done on a day trip. Its a very authentic, huge, serene historical park containing ancient palaces, temples, traditional houses, even whole villages etc from all over Thailand, plus very genuine looking reproductions of parts of Ayuddhya, Sukhothai, Khao Phra Wiharn and other places. Its a must see place and you will love it. Its ideal for the kids too with lot of park area, places to eat, shady spot by the water, and a photographers dream!

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 17
9. Re: Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

A slightly more distant altenative would be Phimai.

These are ruins in a 'park' location.

You could 'do' them in an hour or two which is good for the kids. These ruins are at the start of the road to Angkhor Wat, and claim to be about 50 years older.

Phimai is a nice town.

My recomendation is to stay a night at Khao Yai National Park, 2 and a half hours north of Bangkok. Good hotels there include http://www.junglehousehotel.com/

Next to a small elephant camp. They do 30 minute rides round the area behind the hotel.

You could stay there, do a 20 hour 'night safari' in the evening, visit th ruins at Phimai the next morning, have lunch then drive 4 hours back to BKK.

10. Re: Ancient cities with kids: Ayuthaya Vs. Lopburi or other?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, September 23, 2009