We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top MUST see places in Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur
Top MUST see places in Bangkok

Hi

I will be in Bkk from 15th - 18th June and although primary intention is to shop, I would like to probably alocate 1 half day for some sightseeing.

Can the Bkk expert advise me on the MUST see places in Bangkok - I know the Grand Palace, Jim Thompson and as for temples, due to the limited time, I would like to see the TOP temples.

How do I plan my itinerary as I plan to combine between the BTS and river taxi. Where do I go first (fyi, I am staying at Rajdamri Road). Is tour guide an absolute must or will there be guides at these places?

Thank you and I really hope someone can help me with this so that I get to see the best of Bangkok :)

Stavanger, Norway
reviews: 128
1. Re: Top MUST see places in Bangkok

Hi

Check out my trip report with pictures and links gardkarlsen.com/Bangkok_trip_report_2007.htm . Maybe that can give you an idea of what to expect :-) Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

Regards

Gard

Bangkok
reviews: 2
2. Re: Top MUST see places in Bangkok

Wat Pra Kaew (Emerald Buddha Temple) and Wat Pho

These 2 temples are just across the small road. Grand Palace is also next to the Wat Pra Kaew. Siam Niramit is an unforgetable cultural show you can't missed, it has all the flavour of Thai Culture assemble into one of the world best show.

Good luck !!

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 15
3. Re: Top MUST see places in Bangkok

For me, just cruising around Bangkok is more interesting than any of the famous sights.

Your nearest BTS station will probably be CHITLOM. From here, head to the SIAM transfer station and switch trains to SAPHAN TAKSIN. This will put you at the SHAPHIN TAKSIN Central Pier, where you can access the Express boats.

You can get a pass that will allow unlimited day use of the BTS and Express boats. IMO, you can easily spend a day cruising around, hopping on and off whenever something catches your eye.

Kuala Lumpur
4. Re: Top MUST see places in Bangkok

Hi gardkarlsen - Thanks for the trip report. It sure looks informative , will definitely read through it :)

Hi Kaen - Definitely going to Siam Niramit show now!

Hello again Curt1591

I do want to cruise along the river and thanks for the note on how to get there. Naturally of course, I have a strings of questions for you ;)

* How far is the Central Pier from the Shaphin Taksin station?

* Where do I purchase my unlimited day use ticket? At Central Pier? This ticket will enable me to ride on the Express Boat only or it includes the ferry for river crossings too?

* I looked at the map and there are so many piers along the river ; will the Express boat stop at all piers and i hop off when I see something I like or different boats go to different pier?

* Can you tell me how much is the pass for the unlimited ride? BTS & Express Boat

Thanks in advance Curt - as always, you've been a great help in my research. Do let me know should you need to know anything about KL so that I could return you the favour ;)

Bangkok, Thailand
5. Re: Top MUST see places in Bangkok

Siam Niramit is definitely worthwhile. I'm not a "Traditional Thai Dance" show person, but I really liked Siam Niramit.

The Central Pier is pretty much below the BTS platform.

I haven't bought a day pass. We typically pay by destination. The "SIAM" stop is the main station. I would imagine they would offer the latest deals/passes.

I believe I have read that the 100 baht BTS daypass also includes the Express boats.

The express boats have different flags, designating at which piers they stop. Shuttles, longtails and private ferries while cost additional.

Hopefully you can get a map of the express boat piers at the at the Central pier.

http://www.bangkok-city.com/expressboat.htm

Tokyo
6. Re: Top MUST see places in Bangkok

I'm afraid the one day BTS unlimited travel ticket is 120 baht and it's not valid on the boat. I used it last month.

Singapore
reviews: 145
7. Re: Top MUST see places in Bangkok

I've just got back from BKK 12 hrs ago.

Abt the Chao Phraya cruise, since u have only half a day, you should just go for the express boat (orange flag), don't waste $ on the tourist boat (which is good for those who want to do hop-on-and-off).

You pay 15 Baht per trip compared to the 120 Baht for the tourist boat. Though you don't get attractions pointed to u, but this site is good enough:

tour-bangkok-legacies.com/chao-phraya-river-…

This is another useful site:

http://www.chaophrayaboat.co.th/

Take BTS sto Saphan Taksin, walk down the stairs to buy ticket, the 1st one u will come across is the one for tourist boat, walk further down, u will see the ladies selling tix for the orange flag express boat.

Pick a pier to stop, eg. for Grand Palace, refer to the 1st link for the pier to stop. (I didn't stop for Grand Palace), else, go as far as u will like and pay another 15 Baht to get back to the same BTS station u start with.

I suspect with half a day, u have enough time to cover up to the pier for Grand Palace, tour around the place and come back to BTS station.

Yes, BTS unlimited pass is 120Baht, again, unless u take a lot of trips, u will be better off paying per trip, my experience is that each trip cost around 20 - 25 Baht for commuting to nearby places.

Bangkok, Thailand
8. Re: Top MUST see places in Bangkok

At one time, there was a promotion for combined use. I guess that's over, and the rate has gone up; go figure!

Torre del Mar, Spain
reviews: 28
9. Re: Top MUST see places in Bangkok

A handy general site for Bangkok:

http://bangkok-city.com/

10. Re: Top MUST see places in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, September 30, 2009