We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Safe?!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Galway, Ireland
reviews: 30
Hotel Safe?!

I've been reading a few posts recently and there are a lot of cases of travellers money, wallets etc. being stolen from their hotel rooms by staff and some even while they were in the room asleep!!!

My concern is that obviously if their is a safe in the hotel room we will use it but I'm nearly sure that at least at two of our hotels there is no safe at all. I am really worried about this aspect of the holiday as I don't want our dream trip ruined by losing all our cards, money etc.

Am I freaking out too much, but it just seems to be a common occurence on these forums?!

Bangkok, Thailand
1. Re: Hotel Safe?!

I cannot seem to remember of any report here that was about items being stolen from rooms.

Yes it does happen but those cases are normally with single visitors having guests overnight. Also cases of them having problems outside in some of the not so goos areas.

As you seem to be together you should have no reason to "freak out"

Enjoy your holiday

Leeds, UK
reviews: 1
2. Re: Hotel Safe?!

Which hotels are you staying in? Most hotels in Bangkok are very safe and the people always go out of their way to make you feel like a guest should feel. Unless you are staying in hostel type places. Then I should not see you having any problems. Even then, the hostels are very safe. Some maybe subject to local thiefs breaking in etc..... like in any country. Due to lack of security in these places??

england
reviews: 3
3. Re: Hotel Safe?!

if there is no safe in your room I am sure the hotel reception area will have one or a safe deposit box you can use. my insurence will not cover me for valubles which get stolen from a room unless they are lock in a safebe it the room safe or the hotels one.

hope that helps

Newport Pagnell...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Hotel Safe?!

If you are worried about someone coming into your room while you're asleep,you can get a doorstop that sounds an alarm if someone tries to open the door.

I haven't read many posts on room thefts on Trip Advisor,in fact I can only remember one,and I've been a member since 2005.

If there isn't a safe in your room(there probably will be)use the safety deposit box in reception.

Bangkok
5. Re: Hotel Safe?!

If this topic is what you worry about. Try checking the hotel which provide Safety Box in your room.

Another way is choose hotel with 4-5 stars. Almost of them try to maintain good reputation and I think this might be a bit safe. Choosing hotel by checking for old post about hotel in BKK by TA member might be help.

For me I recommend The Siam Heritage Boutique Suites. You can take a look at http://www.thesiamheritage.com

Actually, I never heard this from my friend and never face myself. Hope you wont too.

Pawtucket, RI
6. Re: Hotel Safe?!

I have used 300 baht (with A/C) hotels that had safety boxes available at the check in desk! If you are paying more than that amount most likely a safety box available at the front desk. Don't leave the key to that safety box out in plain sight in your hotel room!

You are probably more likely to have something stolen from your room by a "guest" or the tourist next door than the hotel staff.

Bring bags with you that you can lock up. Don't bring expensive jewelry with you or something you would worry about if it came up missing.

You can put a chair up to the door if you fear someone coming in during the night. Most of the doors do have a safety lock - use it!

Another trick is to balance an empty soda can with small pebbles in it on the door knob - if someone turns the knob the can falls and makes a racket.

I jam the door key (usually on some sort of big tag) in the space over the door, this makes it easy to find the key when you leave and if the door is opened the key falls and makes a noise. If you are in a hotel where you stick the key in a slot for electricity use the soda can trick.

Good luck.

Bkk
reviews: 4
7. Re: Hotel Safe?!

one of the safest city of the world.. just stay in right areas.. like sukhumvit or silom.. dont freak out!!

California
reviews: 4
8. Re: Hotel Safe?!

Hi :

I used the Majestic suites safe in May, 2007 and never been

a problem . A little small for the lap top , but plenty of room

for other valuable Doc. and small amount of cash. I don't

plan to go Bangkok to stay all the time in room to play the

computer lap top. I shall be back this Majestic suites this

month November, 2007.

Enjoy,

9. Re: Hotel Safe?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 12, 2009