We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

book now or when i get there?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, United...
reviews: 1
book now or when i get there?

do you think i should book a place to stay before i go to thailand or just get a hotel when i get there?

ive heard its cheaper to get you accommodation once you arrive in thailand and it is very easy to do so?

what do you think guys?

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 91
1. Re: book now or when i get there?

Depends on when you are travelling?

Bangkok
2. Re: book now or when i get there?

and where abouts you want to be staying and what prices.

New York City
reviews: 20
3. Re: book now or when i get there?

at least book the first night now.

I personally like to book in advance but when I am there I always poke around to evaluate hotels for future use.

Depends on the type of room you want. I usually spend 50 to 80 on a hotel room (that's a pretty nice room in Bangkok). If you looking to spend less than that - you may be able to do better by shopping around once there - but why spend time running around to do that?

I would book in advance and use tripadvisor recommendations (and check other sources, guidebooks, etc.-- but an online recommendation may be more current.)

Bolton, United...
4. Re: book now or when i get there?

we are going in september.

going to stay in bangkok for a couple of nights then pattaya for a couple then going onto ko samui for a couple of week.

cant really afford anything fancy but i heard you can get pretty nice rooms when even on a budget. is this true?

not to sure about booking a hotel over the net

New York City
5. Re: book now or when i get there?

you can get great rooms at any budget level. I have used hotetravel.net 9 times in the past 3 years but have heard good things about asiarooms.com.

I think booking online is a better value and you'll be assured of a room.

Bolton, United...
6. Re: book now or when i get there?

cheers guys.

were is the most popular place to stay in bangkok?

we would like the best place for shopping eating out and nightlife

New York City
7. Re: book now or when i get there?

Silom. Sukhumvit and Siam Square are the three popular places. There is good food in all three areas. Sukhumvit is the ex-pat area and there are lots of nightlife venues there.

Silom is a business district and has the notorious Pat Pong nightlife but also some good shopping and a Japanese area around Thaniya Plaza.

Siam square has the biggest shopping centers - MBK, Siam Center, etc. Great food everywhere in Siam.

I have stayed most often in Silom mostly because it is where I first stayed and I know it well and can walk a lot of places, it seems quieter and less congested to me (but this is a relative thing in Bangkok!) it is very easy to get from there to the other two areas - or to any area in Bangkok via the skytrain.

I stayed in Sukhumvit last time and it's great but a little more congested than Silom and a farther walk to the skytrain which is my preferred mode of travel for convenience, comfort and price (except for the places you can get to my Chao Phraya River boat).

A hotel in any of these three areas would be a good choice. If you find a good deal on a hotel that appeals to you in any of these areas, you'll be fine for convenience and venues.

For backpackers and guesthouse (i.e.the least expensive accommodations) try the Khao San Road area - it's not my personal favorite area to stay in but can be fun to visit.

Bangkok has many options for any budget.

Manila, Philippines
8. Re: book now or when i get there?

Hi, how about Pratunam? My husband and I are staying in BKK from the 6th to the 11th of May. I was planning on the Baiyoke Suite for the first 3 nights then maybe a night or two in Pattaya then another night in Chinatown. What do you think?

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
9. Re: book now or when i get there?

I have not stayed in the Pratunam area and tend to like taking the skytrain but honestly you can take a taximeter anywhere in Bangkok for very little. Just be sure it is a taximeter and the driver turns on the meter.

If he doesn't just smile and say no thanks and get out. Most Bangkok taxi drivers are really nice and helpful and in 10 visits, I have only once had a bad driver who tried to overchange me.

I'm sure it will be an interesting and authentic area!

10. Re: book now or when i get there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, August 29, 2009