We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes for Summer Travel

Which Thailand hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
reviews: 111
Clothes for Summer Travel

It's hard to decide what to wear during the hot, humid summer Monsoon season when also in and out of air conditioning throughout Thailand and Cambodia. What worked best is Linen, Cotton then Silk in that order. Longer shorts and skirts worked well as they provided covering on the legs on wet sticky bus, boat, van seats, as well as, proper covering when visiting Wats and traveling by plane. Having some liquid clothes detergent on hand to rinse and hang clothes overnight in hotel Air Con worked well with a day or two drying time. Sandals not flip flops work best to stay on and dry faster than sneakers. A pair of Patagonia "breeze" flats were great in all weather for all occasions. I bet Sperry boat shoes would work. Many folks were sportin' TOM's or espadrilles. I didn't pull out my rain jacket often, instead I bought a 50 cent plastic poncho that also covered my backpack and purse. A hat was more effective than suntan lotion. Having a pocketbook with body strap was great to free up hands when toting luggage and jumping on and off tuk tuks. zip lok bags to keep phones, laptops, paperwork and medicine dry are a must! A caribener to attach money purse to bra strap added a safe place for passport and bills. Certainly carrying less clothes and luggage is easier. Rinsing out quick dry tops, shorts, bathing suits and undergarments in the evening and discarding items as you go along is easier than overpacking and lugging from place to place.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
1. Re: Clothes for Summer Travel

I've revised my packing list a lot from when I first started travelling for me now it's less is more and I always think if i really need something else I can buy it there and those ponchos for the rain are great we still have the first one we bought and it has been everywhere with us.

Bristol, United...
2. Re: Clothes for Summer Travel

Thank you for this info.

I go to Thailand in December, backpacking for a month and am really worried about what and how much to pack.

I printed a list from here a few days ago which included things like hand sanitizer and photocopies of passport etc - so all the practical stuff.

Clothes wise was just going to pack lots of shorts and tshirts, couple of pairs of flip flops/sandals, a jumper or 2, poncho/rain coat, underwear, trousers, maybe a nice dress or two for eating out. That was about it really.

I will be going to Chiang Mai and doing alot of walking. Do you recommend getting hiking boots or something? Just a bit worried they will weigh alot.

London
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 128
3. Re: Clothes for Summer Travel

Lightweight long sleeve tops and lightweight long trousers for the evening can save you an awful lot of mozzie bites.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
reviews: 1
4. Re: Clothes for Summer Travel

I don't recommend hiking boots unless you plan on trekking for miles. Your feet will feel very hot and they will become a pain in the rear when you have to constantly remove them going in and out of temples. A comfortable pair of sandals with good support will do the trick.

5. Re: Clothes for Summer Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 19, 2014