We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should tourists be warned about Thai driving habits?

Which Thailand hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 37
Should tourists be warned about Thai driving habits?

One expert certainly thinks so.

nationmultimedia.com/national/Warn-tourists-…

Ko Chang, Thailand
reviews: 4
1. Re: Should tourists be warned about Thai driving habits?

Yes, i think that would be a very good idea.

Specially that if a car 'high light' you it not mean like in Europe that you can drive - it mean's here "i come"

or that it is not usual that Thai's turn the blinker on, on the same side they actually turn to - or use the blinker at all ...

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
2. Re: Should tourists be warned about Thai driving habits?

I suppose it's a good idea but they all have different habits so how do you warn people about them, everyone sems to make up their own rules.

Ogden, Utah
reviews: 22
3. Re: Should tourists be warned about Thai driving habits?

Because they do Chrella LOL. Most, especially in outlying districts never had any training or even a license! Whether need any warnings fro newcomers---naaa, they figure it out after their first taxi, tuk-tuk, motorci ride.... :-)

Perth, Australia
reviews: 37
4. Re: Should tourists be warned about Thai driving habits?

I guess it's easier to just let tourists die on the roads than it is to actively warn them of the dangers.

I think the point about emergency responses and the legal situation or lack of either, need to be better understood by visitors to Thailand, before they hire bikes and cars. Who knows, it might just save a life or three.

Cheers.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Phangan, Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 42
5. Re: Should tourists be warned about Thai driving habits?

Probably not a bad idea, but it then begs the questions should tourists be warned about lax safety standards on such things as ferrys and other forms of transport, the questionable electrics, the dodgy footpaths etc etc.

6. Re: Should tourists be warned about Thai driving habits?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 21, 2014