We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking through Chitwan?

Which Chitwan National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 2
Trekking through Chitwan?

I haven't been able to find much information about this, so would be nice to get some feedback from people who have been here.

Being not such big fans of hiking in the cold, my current plan for a trek was to go down to Hetauda from Kathmandu, and camp across Chitwan to Sauraha/Bharatpur. The plan is to do this without a guide. What would camping in Chitwan be like? Is it even allowed? How frequent are tree houses within the national park between the route that could ease the trip if things got hard?

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Kathmandu, Nepal
reviews: 13
1. Re: Trekking through Chitwan?

Hello,

Not sure about all the way route to Hetauda but there is a few days trekking route heading to Chitwan from Charaudi. It's of the beaten trek so I don't think that trekking on your own will be a good idea. The route is called Chepang Village Trek. Only camping or staying at local houses is available in most places. Some places even offer small guest houses with basic facilities. You are allowed to camp only outside the national park zone, you won't be able to camp inside the national park.

No idea about Chitwan Hetauda walk!

London, United...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Trekking through Chitwan?

Thanks for the info.

Would you know how strictly enforced the "no-camping" would be?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Kathmandu, Nepal
reviews: 13
3. Re: Trekking through Chitwan?

It is not allowed to camp only inside the National Park area, in other places nobody will care you. The national park rules are quite strict so avoid camping inside.

adelaide
reviews: 15
4. Re: Trekking through Chitwan?

strictly enforced wth a machine gun so don't do anything stupid

Cumbria
reviews: 12
5. Re: Trekking through Chitwan?

Although doing a guideless camping trekking across Chitwan might sound like a nice idea, the reality is that it’s a none starter.

Here are some “Good” reasons

All the safari camps inside the park have been closed, so as Chitwan is full of wild animals, even if it were permissible there wouldn’t be anywhere safe to camp

Apart from showing you the way, guides in Chitwan are there to protect you from the wild animals

Best idea is to start again as there are scores of excellent treks you can do safely in Nepal, but as there are teahouses on most treks where both food and accommodation are available at reasonable cost, personally I wouldn’t bother with camping

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Reply to: Trekking through Chitwan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted