We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2n/3days Chitwan tours

Which Chitwan National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
2n/3days Chitwan tours

We are 2 of us travelling to Chitwan for 2nights/3days jungle safari from 31st Oct 2012 till 2nd Nov'12. If we book bed/breakfast hotel in Sauraha then how do we go for Elephant safari, canoe tours, jungle walks, etc on our own? Are there any agencies or governement run institutions that conduct such daily or hourly tours? Or should we book the 2n/3day safari with speciality lodgings inside the national park itself? Which is better option and cost savings- booking entire package with lodges or go separately for each selected jungle tours?

please suggest

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
reviews: 88
11. Re: 2n/3days Chitwan tours

The 'normal' Chitwan package - arrive for lunch, afternoon and evening programme, overnight accommodation, full day of activities, overnight, then depart the following morning - is an interesting conjuring trick. Since the government closed the lodges in the Park you are now accommodated in a compound outside the boundaries. On two recent occasions I've stayed at Safari Narayani, located on the bank of the Rapti River. The resort itself is very pleasant with bar and dining facilities on a terrace overlooking the river, accommodation is very adequate, and the food perfectly acceptable. The 'conjuring trick' is the illusion that you are in a remote jungle location ! Outside the perimeter fence there's a well-populated, well farmed rural area.

Apparently this year the Nepal Government has banned privately-owned elephants from the Park, so that although the resort has its own elephants (and eighteen months ago we climbed aboard actually in the lodge compound, and crossed the river into the Park) this year we were driven for ten minutes to a mounting platform (to which the resort's elephants had been brought) for a couple of hours ambling through grassland and rather scrubby woodland. No sign of tiger, leopard, python (well, no surprise there), and not even a rhino. A couple of monkeys and a Barking Deer are a small return in terms of wildlife !

It's not the resort's fault, but animals seem in short supply ! Our canoe drift down the river produced a good variety of birds, and a couple of Gharials, and the visit to the Gharial breeding Centre (inside the Park) is interesting (though equally interesting was the arrival there of several groups of tourists in jeeps: I fail to see how this is more acceptable in the Park than are resort elephants !). The walk back, through the jungle, again produced nothing in terms of wildlife: the fact that the area had recently been burnt may have contributed - eight people tramping through brittle burnt leaves are likely to scare away anything within 100 yards.

The visit (by ox cart) to a nearby Tharu village was interesting: I trust the locals are paid for the intrusion, and for their enjoyable dance performance in the evening.

The most memorable moment of the visit for me was when I 'escaped' from the Resort for an hour and strolled along the road outside. Calling at the local Cold Store for a drink we were entertained by the three year old daughter, who insisted that we went to see her 10 day old brother. The half-hour spent chatting with the family was delightful - it's great to talk to Nepali people other than those employed in tourism ! I'd recommend it.

In short, if you are looking for a 'wild' experience, with lots of wildlife, then you'd better go to Africa. If you are after a relaxed couple of days in a warm, pleasant environment then Chitwan is fine.

12. Re: 2n/3days Chitwan tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 18, 2014