We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Pokhara in mid August

Which Pokhara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
visiting Pokhara in mid August

Hi,

We are looking to visit Pokhara in mid august for 4-5 days( 2 people) . Will it be safe and advisable to visit considering the monsoon this year

Sheffield
1. Re: visiting Pokhara in mid August

Hi

This year's monsoon has had a huge impact in the far west of Nepal but, as far as I know, it has been a fairly standard year in Pokhara though a nearby village was washed away by the Kali Gandaki.. Hard to say what August will bring. This website shows avarega conditions for Pokhara and KTM;

weather-and-climate.com/…Nepal

scoodly

Aigues-Mortes...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
reviews: 74
2. Re: visiting Pokhara in mid August

Currently I am in Pokhara for a couple of days family trip. The weather is fine [I mean not raining] but it's all foggy everywhere. No views at all and hoping to have good view tomorrow morning from Sarangkot.

I am in Nepal since few years and experiencing Nepali things. I haven't heard of any monsoon floods or landslides in Nepal. There was a flood around Pokhara [I think last year] which killed some people; though it was not in Monsoon season.

I think you should be fine safety wise even in Monsoon season in Pokhara!

Good Luck!

Kathmandu, Nepal
3. Re: visiting Pokhara in mid August

Yes during monsoon also no risk visit around Pokhara. but it is not adviseable to visit pokhara In august view wise. you might not see any mountain views. but Never know you might be lucky and get good weather.

good luck

Sali

Sheffield
4. Re: visiting Pokhara in mid August

"I haven't heard of any monsoon floods or landslides in Nepal."

Here's one from a short time ago:

http://thehimalayantimes.com/fullNews.php?headline=Most+severe+floods+in+50+years&NewsID=381374

"during monsoon also no risk visit around Pokhara."

This BBC article discusses the risks to Pokhara resutling from last year's nearby flood caused by the landslide:

bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22405270

It is sensible to ask this question becasue the Pkhara area does get a lot of rain. The main monsoon risks, in my view, are involved in getting there. Landslides and road washouts are possible (for example, the main road between KTM was blocked for 6 hours recently). Once in Pokhara itself the risk of floods exists but is limited.

Floods and landslides are common in Nepal during the monsoon.

scoodly

"

Edited: 1:04 pm, July 03, 2013
Cumbria
reviews: 10
5. Re: visiting Pokhara in mid August

Scoodly has already provided so good info on last years flood on the Seti which passes very close to Pokhara – There is also some good video footage of the actual flood on YouTube.

So, there are risks, but, personally I think the bigger ones are getting there and getting back.

As you are from India, I don’t know whether it is your intention to fly into Kathmandu – Or travel overland from India.

If it is the former, then with only 5 days I would suggest that you stay in Kathmandu and the Valley as there is more than enough to keep you well occupied there – You could have a night or 2 in a hill village on the rim, Nagrakot being one good option, you could spend one night in Bhaktapur and the remaining 2 in Kathmandu and take in the world heritage sites in and around there.

If you are travelling overland from India, then by best advice there is to allow some extra time as landslides and bridge outages are common and cause long delays.

Good Luck and happy safe Travels

Rob

6. Re: visiting Pokhara in mid August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 05, 2014