We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pokhara trekking

Which Pokhara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
jersey city
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Pokhara trekking

I'm a solo female traveler in her 30's and will be in Nepal in October. I'm interested in a 10-16 day trek and have a few questions.

* Any recommendations on which trek? Annapurna Circuit w/ Jomsom or Annapurna Base?

* Should I book through an agency ahead of time? Is there any that you can recommend? Or can anyone recommend a guide/porter? Advantages of using an agency vs. hiring an independent guide/porter? I don't want to get ripped off by an agency but want to find a reliable way that will ensure my safety and provide a great experience.

* Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost me? I've been seeing anywhere from $30/day to a couple $1000 through American/international agencies.

* In terms of renting equipment for the trek, any recommendations on what to rent vs. what to buy?

Appreciate any feedback!

Edited: 12:20 pm, March 19, 2013
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
117 reviews
1. Re: Pokhara trekking

Both the Circuit and the Sanctuary are good treks. See

My (purely personal) preference is for the Sanctuary

The chief advantage of using a company is that should anything untoward occur they are more likely to be able to sort it out than an independent guide might be. The one occasion that I've been with someone who needed an emergency evacuation (altitude sickness at Lobuche) our guide simply phoned the office who immediately organised the helicopter, and guaranteed the payment for it.

In terms of cost I'd recommend using a Nepalese firm rather than an international one who will charge you more, then 'top-slice' what you pay to cover their advertising, office costs, salaries, profits. They will thyen sub-contract the delivery of the trek to a Nepalese company anyway. Some time ago I put together a list of companies that had been recommended by genuine travellers (as opposed to the self-promoting posts that are all-too-frequent). Send me a private Message if you want that list.

For a guide and a porter, and accommodation & food, you're looking at around $60 - 70 per day. Additionally you've got transport to Pokhara and to the start of the trek, permits and Trekkers Information Management System card (probably another $30 or so) to budget for.

Most companies will provide you a sleeping bag and liner, and some will also provide a down jacket. Otherwise you can rent quite cheaply in Kathmandu

Level Contributor
1,597 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Pokhara trekking

Really good info already provided.

Only thing missing - I guess - is your question whether to book ahead of time! I think you should...!

There are no need to spend the first days of a Holiday, running to one office after another to choose a good Agency and to get things settled. Personally I prefer to arrange most things before arrival.

Just don't transfer any deposits and don't hand over any money before you have met the guide going with you in person. Your guide is the key-person to a good experience and you need to make sure that he seems knowledgeable and has sufficient language skills and a personality that fits yours.

If you PM any of the frequent posters in the Nepal forum, most of us are happy to share information about the agenccy we normally use.

West Harptree...
Level Contributor
727 posts
219 reviews
3. Re: Pokhara trekking

I'm currently in Pokhara with my wife planning some treks.

We have time so we're checking out a few agents and, so far, have found 4 Brothers to be the most informative and none pushy.

Also, as a single female, you should check out 3 sisters adventure trek. They provide fully trained female guides/porters which might suit you well.

Have a great trip.

4. Re: Pokhara trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:07 pm, March 20, 2013
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Pokhara trekking

Hi Lisbeth, we did The Best of Annapurna - Dhaulagiri Trek with ""Mountain Monarch"", a local trekking company with top ratings and amazing service. Great guides, the porters are treated well and have proper footwear and clothes. Ours was a tea house trek and hire of sleeping bag and down jacket was included in the fee. They also do camping treks. If you book a couple of months in advance that should do fine. I would send an email to Pradip the owner and ask him. You only pay 10 % deposit.

Happy trekking

Edited: 12:18 am, March 25, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Pokhara trekking

Hi Lisbeth. Can highly recommend Trekking Unlimited. KB runs this little outfit. You can trust them - their guides are female friendly too. Assisted my wife when she was suffering with Altitude sickness ie found he a pony etc. About $70 per day, do as much of the Circuit as you want. Most fly hme from Jomson due to the road works.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
7. Re: Pokhara trekking

Hello email me, my name is Charlotte Moghal ! I know a great trek leader ! but his website is here…..

My email is charlottemoghal@hotmail.com

I have been on 2 treks with him now Poon Hill/Ghorepani and Annapurna Base Camp !

and my friends on another with him !

Charlotte xxx

Brighton, england
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Pokhara trekking

Avoid incompetent and thuggish Himalayan Scenery.

I arrived in Pokhara having booked a Annapurna Circuit trek, but there was no luggage lock up, no porter and an incorrect trekking permit. Himlayan Scenery's representative in Kathmandu by phone then gave me thuggish verbal treatment, telling me:

' It's our bad luck to be on Trip Advisor' ' Don't f*** with us" !!

After planning an Annapurna Circuit, up to three week trek, I went to Himalayan Scenery's suggested hotel. The hotel dis not have luggage lock up for my computer. So, the helpful hotel agreed that with another hotel. This delayed seeing the porter, who then went out and had an early night.

Unfortunately, the porter decided not to trek and so did not wait to see me in the morning either.

The departure date had been agreed for one of two consecutive dates. The porter was in communication with me by messages through our hotel, and I was told meeting in the morning was okay.

My trekking permit was also wrong; for another trek with just six days.

So, no luggage lock up, no porter and an incorrect trekking permit.

Did Himalyan Scenery comprehend that this was not excellent? Nope, it got worse.

The same disorganisation and indifference continued by phone. I checked this was indeed the same company here on Trip Advisor. Himalayan Scenery replied ' It is out bad luck to be on Trip Advisor" and "don't f**** with us". Yup, that was it... customer care.

I had already spent 160 dollars, but Himalayan Scenery tried to force me to pay a further 100 dollars as a cancellation fee ! They also told me I had to give 20 dollars a night for accommodating the porter for two nights, but the porter had stayed, i was told, in the staff room at no cost for one night.

Himalyan Scenery's representative in Kathmandu was confused and unable and unwilling to resolve the issues above. Thank goodness the hotel intervened on my behalf.

Finally, a new voice on the phone from Himalayan Scenery formally and officiously told me the saga was at an end.

8 posts
9. Re: Pokhara trekking

Hi There,

Namaste from Nepal

Welcome to Nepal. Being a solo female trekker you should be very strong and take most of the knowledge about the trek where you are planning to go. In 16 days both the wonderful Annapurna BC and short circuit can be done.

I do not recommend to use independent guide because there are nearly 600 active trekking companies in Nepal that has been providing the services under the government rules and regulation. Most of the guide and porter under them are quite responsible if not as promised you have right to get certain money back from the companies that is complied.

It is up to you whether you book in advance or when you are in Kathmandu but better to go through the company. Ripping off by agency is not true.You can use local company based in Nepal if you may like. Packages starts from US $ 60 per day to above including guide, food, transports, permits etc for trek only so it is for your guidance to chose the right amount that you want to pay for your once in a life time Mountain holidays.

You can rent or buy down jacket, sleeping bag, walking poles, in cheaper for local products that I used to brand as The North Fake. It works very well for 2 to 3 treks though.

I hope that the above answers to your queries might be in order and very helpful for you trip planning and preparation for October 2014

With the best wishes

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
15 posts
65 reviews
10. Re: Pokhara trekking

Hi, please find our experiences below

The price ranges are as follows

- 20 USD per day if you want to hire just a guide. Add approx 15 USD to this if you also want a porter. These rates will include their food & accommodation. To this you should add costs of your accommodation & food (approx 10 USD per day).

- 40-50 USD per day if you want to buy a package from local agency: guide + accommodation + food, sometimes even some extra equipment.

As we were traveling on tight budget, we did not buy a package but simply hired a guide through an agency. At the end however, we saw no benefit of doing so through an agency - they just added their commission to our guide's daily rate. Maybe more benefit of using the agency would come through a package, but the package itself still does not pay off when you are budget conscious.

Next time if we decide we need a guide, we will contact them directly without any agency as a middleman. This would help save a couple of dollars per day.

If you need a recommendation of a good guide and/or how to end up with a decent one, I've posted it here:

Renting / buying equipement for the trek depends on what you have and what you may find useful for after the trek. What you need are warm clothes and a good sleeping bag. Both can be easily rented in Pokhara's many trekking shops for 2-3 USD per day (per piece)

Enjoy your trek