We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is namche bazaar in feb worth the cost of 2 flights.

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
Is namche bazaar in feb worth the cost of 2 flights.

I am traveling to Nepal in February with my mother, we do not want to get into any long treks, but thought we would do the flight to Lukla, then to Namche Bazaar return for 4 or 5 days.

Is that area so much more to see than if we just took a bus to Pokhara and did something from that direction and avoid the 600 dollars on flights

Cumbria
reviews: 12
1. Re: Is namche bazaar in feb worth the cost of 2 flights.

Personally, I would say Yes. It is worth it

My reasons are

Just above Namche Bazaar there are some excellent viewpoints where you can look right up into the Upper Khumba and get a great view of Everest from the ground – The Panorama Hotel is my own favourite where you can either go for coffee or lunch

Namche Bazaar is set in a bowl with spectacular mountain views and you feel as though you are in the middle of things where as Pokhara you are just looking at distant mountain views

You can also easily spend a day in Namche Bazaar exploring, there is at least one museum to visit, several bakeries to sit in and while an afternoon away.

You can also do a day walk to Thame if you want to get away from the mainstream trekkers heading up and down from EBC and Gokyo

Good Luck and Happy Travels

Rob

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
2. Re: Is namche bazaar in feb worth the cost of 2 flights.

Thanks for the the insight. That was kind of what i thought, but there is some comfort from someone that has been there.

Cumbria
reviews: 12
3. Re: Is namche bazaar in feb worth the cost of 2 flights.

No Problem – Pleased to be of help

Namche Bazaar has changed a lot these past few years, the first time I visited was in January 98 and things were a lot more basic then.

But now the upper end lodges are more like hotels with en-suite bathrooms with hot showers and panoramic dining rooms with heaters – So you don’t have to rough it !!

Good Luck

Rob

PS –Two other things you will need is TIMS and National Park Entry – This works out at just over $50 per head, so another expense to calculate in – But don’t let a few $’s put you off an experience that will Always stay with you :-)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 27
4. Re: Is namche bazaar in feb worth the cost of 2 flights.

I agree and I'm probably around your mother's age - and I really like Pokhara, too.

Everything is memorable about a trip to Namche Bazar when you haven't been in that region before. Just flying into Lukla is a great experience.

We took 2 overnight stops on the way to Namche, making it a leisurely walk rather than a route march and enjoyed it enormously.

From there we went to Thame, Thamo, Khumde, Khumjung, & back to NB taking a very leisurely 10 days.

As Rob says, there is a lot to see in a relatively small area and a hot chocolate on the balcony of the Everest View Hotel, watching the sun strike its namesake is really something!

So is the Sir Edmund Hillary hospital at Khumde & school at Khumjung. And the crepe-like bread, spread liberally with yak butter and sparsely with fiery chilli sauce.

I found the museum at NB fascinating - and liked the buzz of the town, with Trekkers from everywhere setting off or returning from their adventures. If you can be there on the weekend ( Friday & Saturday I think), the market is well worth a visit. Go early.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
reviews: 98
5. Re: Is namche bazaar in feb worth the cost of 2 flights.

Well I'm going to voice an alternative opinion !

Whilst I agree that Namche is a pleasant place, that the museum is interesting, the view from above the town is inspiring, and it is a bustling town - particularly for the Saturday market.

I do wonder though whether it IS worth 2 return flights to Lukla. The view JUST includes Everest - the tip visible over the ridge of Nuptse, and Namche seems to become more and more a branch of Thamel in the Khumbu.

You could take the daily Mountain Flight from Kathmandu, which would give you a better view of Everest, at half the price.

Pokhara is very pleasant, and the scope for short treks, for example

By road to Nyapul (about 45 minutes). Trek to Ghandruk (or the gentler option - drive to Nyapul, then take a jeep to about 90 minutes walk from Ghandruk)

Ghanduk - Tadapani

Tadapani - Ghorepani

Ghorepani - Tirkedungha

Tirkedungha - Nyapul, and back to Pokhara by road

or

By road to Khande. Trek to Pothana or Bichok Deorali

to Landrung

to Chomrong

to Ghandruk

to Nyapul

would both give you pleasant trekking, good lodges, delightful woodlands and farmland, pleasant villages, and great mountain views,

6. Re: Is namche bazaar in feb worth the cost of 2 flights.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 22, 2015