We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
reviews: 2
Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

Hi, flying from Newcastle to Kathmandu. Have always transferred at Delhi but security is so slow you need at least 4 hours to negotiate everything in time. Anybody transferred at Doha or Abu Dhabi and found it better than Delhi, any info appreciated. Cheers, Andy.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 47
1. Re: Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

Hi Andy, we flew to KTM via Abu Dhabi on 31/10 & it was a breeze. Mind you we flew Etihad from Manchester to Kathmandu with a 5hr layover in Abu Dhabi so didn't see our hold luggage until arrival in KTM.

Seemed pretty efficient though - can't comment on Delhi. Cheers

Sheffield
2. Re: Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

Hi

I have transited Abu Dhabi and Doha and both have been easy and efficient. AD has more, and more comfortable seating so if it's a long layover and you have a choice, I'd go via AD.

scoodly

Edited: 10:46 am, November 22, 2013
Denmark
reviews: 14
3. Re: Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

In my point of view, I would list them like this:

1. Abu Dhabi

2. Doha

43,983. Delhi

So if you have the possibility to avoid Delhi, I really think you should.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
reviews: 88
4. Re: Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

I agree with Lisbeth (though perhaps 43,983 is a bit generous !)

Qatar scheduling has been a bit sad in the last year or two - anything up to 8 hours lay-over in Doha, but there are worse places to wait !

I similarly used the Etihad Manchester - Abu Dhabi - Kathmandu route earlier this year: absolutely great, no hassle, 2 hours between flights each way.

With both Qatar Air and Etihad the luggage has gone through to Kathmandu with no worries and no need to collect it during the lay-over

MaineUSA
reviews: 66
5. Re: Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

I understand that Istanbul will be another option once Turkish Air begins their non stop to Kathmandu. They are also adding a non stop from Boston to Instabul in May. We're looking into that for a possible October 2014 trip. I would avoid Delhi like the plague!

Cumbria
reviews: 12
6. Re: Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

I would also agree with the order Lisbeth has put them – I regularly transfer though Abu Dhabi and have never encountered any problems, one through Doha and again it was OK and once through Delhi, admittedly this was using the old airport, but it was a nightmare and judging by some reports on here, although things have improved somewhat, it can still be fraught

Good Luck

Rob

Newcastle upon...
7. Re: Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

Thanks to all of you, nice to see others not too happy with Delhi.Think I can get from Newcastle to Amsterdam And then Abu Dhabi, hence avoiding Heathrow as well. Appreciate all your early replies.

Cheers , Andy.

Cumbria
8. Re: Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

I don’t live a million miles from you – Just over the other side of UK in Cumbria and I now fly with Etihad from Manchester – Reasonable transit times in Abu Dhabi and it’s an evening flight out and an early morning flight back, so getting to and from Manchester Airport my train is a doddle – Also Etihad has some good deals on now !!

Good Luck

Rob

Newcastle upon...
9. Re: Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

Cheers 'into thin air' I am getting the picture re Abu Dhabi. I don't think I could face

another transfer in Delhi. Cumbria a lovely area, my cousins live in St. Bees and Whitehaven. I think only cost factors would force me to go Delhi again. Heard good things about Etihad also, so may pay the extra bucks for peace of mind,

Thanks again.

Andy.

Cumbria
10. Re: Best transfer quality, Delhi, Abu Dhabi or Doha?

I used to fly via London – But then when I started adding up the extra rail fare and overnight accommodation to be able to catch planes leaving at inconvenient times, I realised that there wasn’t that much difference in the cost !!.

Yes, The Cumbria is a great place to live – Especially when it isn’t raining ;-)

Good Luck with your travel plans

Rob