We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

non touristy trekking trip to Nepal

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
non touristy trekking trip to Nepal

Hi,

My husband and I want to take a month for our 25th anniversary and do a cool 3 week trek with a guide in Nepal, not sure where to start or what to do that isn't too touristy but will give us a flavour of the culture, scenery, something moderate in ability can anyone offer any advice and or wisdom regarding this, as well as ideal time to go. Would love to stay in tea houses along the way and enjoy the people too :) thanks in advance for any help

adelaide
reviews: 15
1. Re: non touristy trekking trip to Nepal

what time of year may affect where you go

how about going to Mustang

Kathmandu, Nepal
reviews: 4
2. Re: non touristy trekking trip to Nepal

There are numerous possibilities of doing 3 weeks trek in Nepal. The favorable time for doing the trek in Nepal in October-December in the fall and March-May in Spring season. You can get in touch with a few registered trekking companies in Nepal and they can provide all the details. Just give you some idea. For instance doing the Jiri-EBC trek which takes about 3 weeks or doing the Annapurna circuit trek which takes about the same number of days. There are other treks that you can also do.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
reviews: 260
3. Re: non touristy trekking trip to Nepal

hallo, you can consider to do the round circle at Pokhsundo Lake: local people (Bon Religion), old caravan route, Amazing landscape and non touristic trekking.

Namaste

Rongpuk

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Kathmandu, Nepal
reviews: 13
4. Re: non touristy trekking trip to Nepal

Manaslu Circuit Trek will be an option for you. It is a great trek known as alternative to Annapurna Circuit. Manaslu Trek is peaceful trek, few people, newly developed tea houses and amazing views.

Cumbria
reviews: 12
5. Re: non touristy trekking trip to Nepal

As already posted, If you give us an idea of which season you will be going to Nepal then we can advise better – But you already have some good suggestions

My own would be The Arun Valley, I trekked there last Spring in the Spring Trekking Season and only met 2 other trekkers, and they were going the other way !!

More details here

members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/6/

Good Luck and Happy safe Travels

Rob

Sheffield
6. Re: non touristy trekking trip to Nepal

Hi

Some other possibilities include the Mardi Himal trek (see report on Rob's blog). The Tamang Heritage Trail, the Gurung Heritage trail and the Indiginous People's trail are all 'designed' to be cultural trails and are not very busy treks.

Lots of choice, good luck.

scoodly

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
reviews: 76
7. Re: non touristy trekking trip to Nepal

Hello tambradley1,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

You already have received plenty of advises and route names from different members. I also have been to Manaslu Circuit which I think is great trek. It's stunning high altitude trek, fits your time frame and offers great views.

Tamang Heritage Trail is another option as mentioned on previous post. This trek is of the beaten trek with opportunities to stay at home stays.

Ghale Gaun Trek can be another option but it's short trekking route between Lamjung and Pokhara.

Good Luck!

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 115
8. Re: non touristy trekking trip to Nepal

Manaslu and Tamang Heritage ar no longer untouristy. It also depends in which months. From December to February it wil be quiet almost everywhere.

Really untouriaty treks will have no lodges or only very simple ones.

9. Re: non touristy trekking trip to Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 18, 2014