We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

India to nepal by road

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Krishnagar City...
India to nepal by road

I am Indian.I am going there with my friend.I do not have passport or voter id card.Although he have indian voter id card.But I have only PAN card,OBC certificate.Can I enter nepal by raxual-birgunj border.

Thanks

Sheffield
1. Re: India to nepal by road

Hi

ID requirements are listed on the Welcome Nepal website:

Indian nationals do not require visa to enter Nepal.

As per the Nepalese Immigration, Indian Nationals Traveling to Nepal must posses any One of the following documents.

1. Passport

2. Driving License with photo

3. Photo Identity card issued by a Government Agency

4. Ration Card with Photo

5. Election Commission Card with Photo

6. Identity Card issued by Embassy of India in Kathmandu

7. Identity Card with Photo issued by Sub- Divisional Magistrate or any other officials above his rank

welcomenepal.com/promotional/…

The info is also on immi.gov.np too.

scoodly

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
reviews: 76
2. Re: India to nepal by road

Any identity card issued by the Indian Government will allow you to visit Nepal.

I was in Lumbini last year with my guide. He wanted to go to Indian border just to see how it looks. We went there by a rickshaw. He went to the border gate [I waited him before crossing the gate because I knew they would ask for a visa to me as I am French], crossed the border but nobody was checking him. I saw him walking little further and returned back without showing any documents. Even in the Nepal side nobody was checking no one. So, I think the identity card is required to show only if someone asks you to show but not in general.

...But if you are planning to come with your own vehicle then probably you may need to show valid identity card to register the vehicle in the border.

Good Luck!

Krishnagar City...
3. Re: India to nepal by road

So should I take risk ?

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
4. Re: India to nepal by road

No you shouldn't travel with a valid ID as it is required by Nepal Government Immigration. I was only saying you won't need to show the document but not saying travel without any ID cards. Don't you have any government verified ID cards?

Krishnagar City...
5. Re: India to nepal by road

I have Indian PAN card.Will it work ?

France
Destination Expert
6. Re: India to nepal by road

If the card is issued by Government of India and has your photo attached with the card it should work...

Krishnagar City...
7. Re: India to nepal by road

It is issued by the Indian Income Tax Department.

France
Destination Expert
8. Re: India to nepal by road

Should be OK, why do not you ask in Indiamike.com? I searched in the internet and that site looks pretty popular with Indian users. May be you will get confirmed answer there.

Plus if your above mentioned ID has photo then you should be allowed to travel.

PS: In case if you are planning to return back flying then you may need to have valid passport to stamp. There was someone from the India posting this information in TripAdvisor some time ago.

Good Luck!

Sheffield
9. Re: India to nepal by road

Hi

Maybe contact the Nepal Embassy in Delhi to check if the ID is acceptable:

http://www.nepalembassy.in/

scoodly

10. Re: India to nepal by road

can u advice some good buses from kakadbhitta to kathmandu as i am planning to visit ktm this winter. please help me