We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two and a Half Days in Kathmandu

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Two and a Half Days in Kathmandu

I will be travelling with a tour group and we end in Kathmandu, part of the tour includes Durbar square. I have an additional day and a half before flying out. I was considering the following things, any advice would be helpful! I am a female that will be travelling alone, what is the best way to get around safely?

Day 1 (part of the day will be travelling to Kathmandu), Durbar Square (included in tour group), Bhaktapur

Day 2- Swayambhhunath, Pashupatinath, Bodnath Stupa, Thamel, Freak Street

Day 3- Everest flight (in morning), there may be some additional time before I have to be at airport (flight is 3:30 PM)

I also am interested in doing the bungee jump Bhote Koshi, but am not sure it is feasible.

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 165
1. Re: Two and a Half Days in Kathmandu

Hi Lisa,

In my opinion your itinerary looks really really good, your choices of what to see are excellent. we saw basically the same things when there in August. Bhaktapur was incredible. we hired an "unofficial" guide at the "entrance" who spent the entire time with us for really cheap. we even bought him lunch with us, he was so nice! really worth it because he explained so much to us.

Pashupatinath was really moving and remind me a lot of Varanasi. take a walk up into the paths into the hilly parks above the burning ghats and there are cute friendly/thieving monkeys up there you can feed.

auto rickshaws are great for getting around, just make sure you are *very* clear about the price before you get in, and bargain for price and be prepared to walk away, they will come after you. if they don't you know you have gone to low. then go to the next guy.

Jo

Cumbria
reviews: 12
2. Re: Two and a Half Days in Kathmandu

Good info already posted

With the bungee jump – This can be organised locally as a day trip – But it’s a full day with a very early start, a long drive, then the bungee jump followed by a long drive back making it a very Long Day, so if you opted for this it would be at the expense of something else.

Also – I would strongly recommend an overnight at Bhaktapur, most visitors go as a day trip so having the streets more or less to yourself in the evenings and early morning is wonderful.

The only things you are missing out on is Durbar Square Patan and a trip up to Nagrakot for a taste of hill village life and sometimes a spectacular sunrise – But trying to fit everything into a tight timeframe is always going to me an impossible ask !!

Good Luck

Rob

Saskatoon, Canada
3. Re: Two and a Half Days in Kathmandu

Thanks for the comments! Bungee jump doesn't seem plausible since I don't want to give up what I wanted to do on day two, ohwell maybe next time! Would it be possible to fit Patan in, based on my suggested itinarery above? I'm not sure I'd have time to go to Nagrakot.

We will be going to Pokhara during the group tour, but there is time to ouurselves, I was thinking of getting up and hiking to Sarangkot before the group tour starts for the day. About how long might this taket?

Cumbria
reviews: 12
4. Re: Two and a Half Days in Kathmandu

You should be able to fit in Patan Durbar Square without any problems, it’s only a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride away from Kathmandu Durbar Square and I think worth the effort

Trekking up to Sarangkot takes about 4 to 5 hours, another option might be to trek back down, I did that a few years ago and it took about 3 hours – Or if you have the time, take a boat over Fewa Tal and trek up to the World Peace Pagoda, Awesome views on a clear day and a round trip of about 4 hours from Lakeside

Good Luck

Rob

Saskatoon, Canada
5. Re: Two and a Half Days in Kathmandu

Thanks Rob- you seem very knowledgeable, A little off topic but I have one full day in Pokhara so I was thinking about boating in the Fewa Tal to the World Peace Pagoda, then trekking(?) to Devi's fall and the Gupteshwor Mahadev Cave. I have another half day in Pokhara and was hoping to go paragliding. Or I may go to Sarangkot... I'm just trying to see what the possibilities are as I'm sure I will end up just going with the flow once I'm there.

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 165
6. Re: Two and a Half Days in Kathmandu

Lisa, you just might be able to tap into a 'Sarangkot Sunrise Tour' while in Pokhara. they pick you up at your hotel around 4:30-ish and take you there, you watch the sunrise, take your 10,000 pix ;), drink some hot chai, and then after sunrise, they take you back to your hotel in time for breakfast. i don't know what time your group gets going that morning, but it might be an option.

Is your group not going to the World Peace Pagoda, Gupteshwor cave or Davi Falls??

Jo

Saskatoon, Canada
7. Re: Two and a Half Days in Kathmandu

The group I'm with has nothing really planned in Pokhara, you can choose to do your own thing- since this is my first time really travelling I liked the idea of venturing off on my own- a bit. The sunrise excursion may be an option, thanks. I believe we end up in Pokhara early afternoon and have the rest of that day to ourselves, then we head out on a short trek the next day, and back the following day for a full day, again on our own, in Pokhara- that was when I was thinking of doing those other things.

Kathmandu
reviews: 3
8. Re: Two and a Half Days in Kathmandu

Hi Lisa,

For Kathmandu your itinerary is so perfect and as already there you knew adding Patan is very well possible. For Pokhara there are several choices. Recently the Zipflyer has been started and its awesome. I did it last month. WOW! Paragliding could be your another choice. Hiking towards peace pagoda is also so adventure. dont forget to meditate when you reach at the top. After all its a Peace Pagoda!

enjoy!

9. Re: Two and a Half Days in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 05, 2014