We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK/Goa
reviews: 38
Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

Which is the nearest airport from India? I am in Goa and wondered if I should go from Delhi.

Should I bring warm clothes in April.

Thank you.

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 116
1. Re: Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

tribuvan international ariport - goes by airport code "KTM" and yes you need to fly out of DEL

if you are not planning to do any high altitude trekking warm clothes are not required in april

Edited: 11:39 pm, January 31, 2013
UK/Goa
2. Re: Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

Thank you.

UK/Goa
3. Re: Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

Can I ask another question please? What area should I avoid if it is a way out from the centre. Or better still, put another way, which is the hub area in Kathmandu?

Are the restaurants all good as living in Goa we have lots of Nepalese chefs so I imagine it is good food.

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 116
4. Re: Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

"which is the hub area in Katmandu" (???)

i have no clue what you are trying to get at.

to get to nepal, if you are planning to fly, you need to go through KTM - period!!!!

restaurants in ktm are decent - depends on individual preferance - nepali food is not as spicy as indian - but there are indian joints too.....

Denmark
reviews: 12
5. Re: Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

The tourist hub area is Thamel and there are lots of restaurants, bars etc.

The food in generel is good...pretty much like Goa, I guess.

Cumbria
reviews: 10
6. Re: Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

Lots of good info already posted.

Kathmandu Tribuvan is the Only International Airport in Nepal

As Lisbeth has already mentioned, Thamel is the main tourist area for Kathmandu and is about a 20-minute taxi ride from the airport, however there are several other areas you can stay, Lazimpat has more up-market hotels and Freak Street, which was the original tourist hub is a right next to Durbar Square, the old centre of Kathmandu to name two.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

UK/Goa
7. Re: Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

Thank you.

I have just been and booked the flights for April 22nd. I will now look for a good hotel in Thamel. I liked the look of Shambaling. Is that far away? I am only there for three days so don't want to be away from everything.

I don't eat spicy food as it does not agree with me.

Cumbria
reviews: 10
8. Re: Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

Personally, unless your flight is arriving in Kathmandu late then I would just wait until you arrive as you always get a better price when you just turn up

However - It can be useful to pre-book at least your 1st nights accommodation in Kathmandu, Especially if it is your 1st visits to Nepal or if your flight is landing in the late evening as most hotels in Kathmandu the reception staff finish around 9pm and then a night porter comes on duty, the night porter will only speak limited English and doest have access to guest rooms

Otherwise you will Always find somewhere to stay in Kathmandu, even in the height of the trekking seasons,

But if you are arriving late or would rather book your 1st night then Some hotels offer a free airport pick-up, This Can be really handy especially If this is your first visit to Nepal as Tribuvan Airport can be a bit overwhelming with all the touts trying to drag you off in different directions to their chosen hotel.

Good Luck and Happy Travels

Rob

UK/Goa
9. Re: Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

Thank you for your advice Rob. This time going for only 3 days and the food picture for Shambaling enticed me and we have booked the 3 nights there after all. Thank you also for the tip regarding a pick up. Closer to the date I will phone and ask them to pick us up as we have been ripped off before with taxi drivers.

10. Re: Which airport is closest to Kathmandu please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 03, 2014